MOBILE, Ala. ?- The No. 48-ranked South Alabama Jaguars (4-0) handed the No. 41 Arizona’s women’s tennis (5-1) team its first loss of the year on Friday. The 4-3 defeat could not have been much closer, as the Wildcats came within one set of the victory.
The Wildcats have yet to lose a doubles point this year, and continued that streak by sweeping the Jaguars in the three doubles matches. No. 17-ranked seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar defeated Katarina Palenikova and Maria Zivcicova 8-4 at the one. In the second position, senior Kelly Perry and junior Stephanie Balzert topped South Alabama's Andrea Kurekova and Klara Jarova, 9-8. The third position had an identical score, this time it was Arizona’s freshman Camelia Todorova and sophomore Jessie Rochefort defeating Dominica Nemcovicova and Dijana Stanic, 9-8.
Up 1-0 heading into singles play, Arizona needed only a split of the singles matches to win the match. No. 63 Mlakar defeated Kurekova, 6-3, 6-4, in the first position, while her doubles partner Hollands defeated Zivcicova, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, at the two.
The bottom of Jaguars’ lineup then stepped up to come back from the deficit and win the match. In the third position, South Alabama’s Ana Rupic defeated Balzert, 6-0, 5-7, 6-2, in the third slot. At the four, Perry lost her first match of the season to Palenikova, 6-2, 6-3.
At the five, sophomore Kasia Jakowlew fell to Nemcovicova, 7-6, 6-2. Rounding out the lineup, the Jaguars’ Stanic defeated Todorova, 6-2, 6-3
Arizona next plays tomorrow at No. 15 Tulane. The Wildcats fell to the Green Wave last year, 4-3, in Tucson.
South Alabama 4, Arizona 3
1. No. 17 Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Palenikova/Zivcicova (USA) 8-4
2. Balzert/Perry (UA) def. Jarova/Kurekova (USA) 9-8
3. Rochefort/Todorova (UA) def. Stanic/Nemcovica (USA) 9-8
1. No. 63 Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Andrea Kurekova (USA) 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 23 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Maria Zivcicova 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Ana Rupic (USA) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 6-0, 5-7, 6-2
4. Katarina Palenikova (USA) def. Kelly Perry (UA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Dominika Nemcovicova (USA) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 7-6, 6-2
6. Dijana Stanic (USA) def. Camelia Todorova (UA) 6-2, 6-3