Los Angeles, Calif. ?- The No. 45 Arizona men’s tennis team (7-8, 0-2 Pac-10) fell, below the .500 mark on the season today, to the hands of No. 9 USC (9-8, 2-0 Pac-10), at Marks Stadium. Before losing the first doubles match, the Trojans took charge of the match, taking the doubles point from the Wildcats, and taking five of the six singles matches, to give the Wildcats a 6-1 loss today.
Beginning action on the day, the Wildcats top pair of No. 15 senior Colin O'Grady and junior Roger Matalonga, rebounded from yesterday’s loss, defeating Drew Hoskins and Adam Loucks, 8-4. At the No. 2 position, senior Paul Warkentin and junior Daniel Andrus fell to the No. 36 pair of Jamil Al-Agba and Johan Berg, 8-6. In a battle for the doubles point, the pair of freshman Bruno Alcala and Jason Labrosse fell in a hard fought match to Jarryd Cooper and Kaes Van’t Hof, 9-7.
Starting out in singles competition, the Wildcats fell behind early as No. 47 Matalonga was forced to retire in the first set to No. 62 Hoskins after falling behind, 4-1. In a rematch for the pair, Alcala fell, for the second time this season, to Van’t Hof, 6-3, 6-4. In the decisive match for the day, on court No. 5, Labrosse fell to Loucks, 6-4, 6-2.
Newcomer freshman Claudio Christen, improved his Pac-10 record to 2-0 on the season, defeated Whit Livingston, 6-3, 6-3. Over on court No. 3, Warkentin fell in a tough match to Berg, 6-2, 6-3. Finishing out singles competition, O’Grady retired in the third set to Al-Agba, 3-6, 7-6, 9-3 retired.
The Wildcats will return home next Friday, April 1, as the will host No. 29 California, at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, April 2, the Wildcats conclude the weekend against No. 10 Stanford, with first serve scheduled for 1 p.m.
No. 47 Arizona 1, No. 9 UCLA 6
- No. 15 Matalonga/O’Grady (UA) def. Hoskins/Loucks (USC) ?- 8-4
- No. 36 Al-Agba/Berg (USC) def. Andrus/Warkentin (UA) ?- 8-6
- Cooper/Van’t Hof (USC) def. Alcala/Labrosse (UA) ?- 9-7
- No. 28 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Colin O'Grady (UA) ?- 3-6, 7-6, 9-3 (retired)
- No. 62 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. No. 47 Roger Matalonga (UA) ?- 4-1 (retired)
- Johan Berg (USC) def. Paul Warkentin (UA) ?- 6-2, 6-3
- Kaes Van’t Hof (USC) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 6-3, 6-4
- Adam Loucks (USC) def. Jason Labrosse (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-2*
- Claudio Christen (UA) def. Whit Livingston (USC) - 6-3, 6-3
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5, 6, 3, 1