Feb. 21, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The Arizona women's tennis team fell for the second time in two weeks to a Pac-10 opponent. USC defeated the Wildcats Friday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center, 7-0.
In singles play, graduate student Emilie Scribot fell for the first time this season in the No. 1 spot to third-ranked Jewel Peterson, 7-6, 3-6, 10-7. In the second position, sophomore Maja Mlakar (31) fell to Luana Magnani, 6-3, 5-7, 10-8. Playing in the third spot for only the second time this season, sophomore Dianne Hollands (68) fell to Anita Loyola, 6-3, 1-6, 10-6. In the fourth spot, USC's No. 90 Tiffany Brymer upset No. 49 junior Debbie Larocque, 6-4, 6-2. Sophomore Kelly Perry, in the fifth position, was defeated by Carine Vermeulen, 6-3, 6-2. Rounding out the singles play for the Wildcats, freshman Zorica Zasova fell to Melissa Esmero, 6-4, 6-0.
The Trojans went on to win the doubles point, sweeping all three matches. In the No. 1 spot, Arizona's duo of Hollands and Scribot fell to USC's ninth-ranked pair of Brymer and Peterson, 8-6. In the second spot, Mlakar and Larocque (25) were upset by No. 40 Loyola and Magnani, 8-6. In the third position, Perry and Zasova fell to Esmero and Vermeulen, 8-4.
The Arizona women's tennis team is now 2-2 on the season, and 0-2 in Pac-10 play. The Wildcats look to win their first Pac-10 match versus UCLA Saturday at noon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. Jewel Peterson (USC) def. Emilie Scribot (UA), 7-6, 3-6, 10-7
2. Luana Magnani (USC) def. Maja Mlakar (UA), 6-3, 5-7, 10-8
3. Anita Loyola (USC) def. Dianne Hollands (UA), 6-3, 1-6, 10-6
4. Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 6-4, 6-2
5. Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Kelly Perry (UA), 6-3, 6-2
6. Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Zorica Zasova (UA), 6-4, 6-0
1. Brymer/Peterson (USC) def. Hollands/Scribot (UA), 8-6
2. Loyola/Magnani (USC) def. Mlakar/Larocque (UA), 8-6
3. Esmero/Vermeulen (USC) def. Perry/Zasova (UA), 8-4