March 15, 2011
"This was a tough loss today," head coach Tad Berkowitz said. "
The Hoosiers clinched the point on court three after Isade Juneau and Will Kendall topped the Wildcat freshmen duo of Kieren Thompson and Mario Urquidi.
In the third doubles match of the day, the Wildcat senior tandem of Geoff Embry and Borja Malo couldn't overcome the early deficit of Hoosiers' Jeremy Langer and Santiago Gruter. Malo returned to the Wildcat's lineup after sitting out since the Feb. 13
Singles action featured four tiebreakers and three, three-setters.
The Hoosiers marked victories on courts six and three to clinch the match padding the lead to 4-1. In the No. 6 slot, Urquidi dropped his second singles match in dual match action this season. The freshman was edged in the first set, in a 7-6 (11-9) tiebreaker against Vogl. In the second Vogl held off Urquidi 6-3.
The final two matches came down to three setters. In the No. 1 slot, senior Andres Carrasco who is ranked No. 107 in the ITA singles rankings roared back in the first set after being down 4-1, he bounced back to tie it at 5-5. Then the two tied at 6-6 to force a tiebreaker. In the tiebreaker, Carrasco won 7-6 (7-5). In the second set, Langer rolled on to 6-4 to force a 10-point tiebreaker. The two battled, but it was Carrasco holding off Langer to clinch the 1-0 (11-9) set to secure
In the No. 5 spot, Thompson picked up a 7-6 (7-5) first set tiebreaker against
With the loss,
1. Langer/Gruter (IU) def. Embry/Malo (UA) 8-5
2. No. 56 Vogl/MacTaggart (IU) def. Zafiros/Miccini (UA) 8-3
3. Juneau/Kendall (IU) def. Thompson/Urquidi (UA) 8-3*
Indiana Wins Doubles Point
Order of finish, 2,3*,1
*Clinched doubles point
1. No. 107 Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Jeremy Langer (IU) 7-6 (5), 4-6, 1-0 (9)
3. Josh MacTaggart (IU) def. Geoff Embry (UA) 6-4, 6-7 (6), 6-1*
4. Giacomo Miccini (UA) def. Claes Goransson (IU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Isade Juneau (IU) def. Kieren Thompson (UA) 6-7 (5), 7-5, 1-0 (8)
6. Stephen Vogl (IU) def. Mario Urquidi (UA) 7-6 (9), 6-3
Order of finish, 4,2,6,3*,1,5
*Clinched the match