Junior Bruno Alcala provided
Breaking the tie was Saint Mary’s Yury Platonov against Francois VanderMerwe. VanderMerwe won the first set 6-3, but then had difficulty capitalizing on points at the net. Platonov consistently executed clean passing shots and top-spin lobs that landed within a foot of the baseline, winning the final two sets 6-0, 6-1.
Junior transfer Joel Kusnierz provided the Gaels with a 3-1 lead as he came back from a set down to upset No. 86 Claudio Christen 3-6, 7-5, 6-2. As the match went final, an interesting scenario developed on the nearby court three.
At the No. 6 position, freshman Alex Labrosse was attempting to complete his own comeback against senior Adam Fauvre. After dropping the first set 7-5, Labrosse managed to dominate the second 6-0 and even the match. Down 3-0 in the third, Labrosse once again found a way to fight back and level the score at three-all. Fauvre was able to break Labrosse’s serve, however, and secured the victory for Saint Mary’s 6-4.
Zimmer’s match with Christner and the scheduled doubles matches were unable to be completed due to inclement weather.
The Wildcats have the next week off, but will resume action Saturday, Feb. 3. The team will be traveling to
Saint Mary’s College 4, No. 48
1. Joel Kusnierz (SMC) def. Christen (UA) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Andre Sion (SMC) def. Hezi (UA) 6-1, 6-4
3. Zimmer (UA) v. Achim Christner (SMC) 6-7(8), 7-6(5), 1-0 (not finished)
4. Alcala (UA) def. Andrea Zannoni (SMC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Yury Platonov (SMC) def. VanderMerwe (UA) 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Adam Fauvre def. A. Labrosse (UA) 7-5, 0-6, 6-4