TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The No. 47 Arizona women’s tennis team (6-8, 0-3) lost to No. 5 Southern California (14-1, 4-0), 6-1, today at Robson Tennis Center. The Women of Troy won a close doubles point, before taking five of the six singles matches.
Seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar were UA’s only doubles winners, with their 8-6 victory over Carine Vermeulen and Lindsey Nelson. In the third position, USC’s Anca Anastasiu and Taylynn Snyder defeated UA senior Kelly Perry and sophomore Jessie Rochefort, in a 7-5 tiebreaker.
In singles play, Rochefort defeated Snyder, 6-3, 6-2, for Arizona’s only team point on the afternoon. Mlakar’s 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 loss to Nelson and sophomore Kasia Jakowlew’s 6-0, 2-6, 6-2 battle with Vermeulen were the only three-set matches.
The match concludes Arizona’s six-match homestand, as the Wildcats will now travel to the Bay Area, where they will face California and top-ranked Stanford next weekend.
Southern California 6, Arizona 1
1. Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Vermeulen/Nelson (USC) 8-6
2. Matias/Nelson (USC) def Balzert/Jakowlew (UA) 8-1
3. Anastasiu/Snyder (USC) def. Perry/Rochefort (UA) 8-8 (7-5)
- No. 11 Nicole Leimbach (USC) def. No. 37 Dianne Hollands (UA) 7-5, 7-5
- No. 10 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Maja Mlakar (UA) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
- Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 6-2, 6-3
- Diane Matias (USC) def. Kelly Perry (UA) 6-1, 6-3
- Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
- Jessie Rochefort (UA) def. Taylynn Snyder (USC) 6-3, 6-2