Greg Byrne's Wildcat Wednesday
Talkin' with Tash
By: Arizona Athletics
Release: April 30, 2012
Photo Courtesy: Arizona Athletics
Related Links

April 30, 2012

Senior Women's Tennis Player Natasha Marks -

Hey Wildcat Fans,

So the 2012 season is slowly coming to an end as we had senior day last Friday and beat ASU for the first time since 2004. We thrashed them 7-0! They had some injuries, but each one of us put out a solid performance and had a great match.

We had a short week of practice as we had to leave for the Pac-12 Conference tournament on Thursday at 8 a.m. in Ojai, Calif.  As of now, we are the only conference that is an individual tournament and not a team event. I think this is just for political reasons and that each year the head coaches get together and vote.

This tournament is also a special one as we get to stay at host families that we have gotten close to over the years. So a special thanks to all the Arizona Tennis Ojai host families! By this time of the season, everyone is pretty tired and Ojai is the last tournament to get some top wins and boost you ranking to reach NCAA’s.

We got to Ojai around midday on Thursday and went straight to the club to jump on a practice court. Being a senior, it’s really nice to keep going back to the same tournament, as you get to know the players, coaches and trainers really well and you build relationships. This tournament was the last for Sarah, Debora and myself and we wanted to leave Ojai on a high note.

Day One: We got picked up by Coach Vicky at 6:45 a.m. and left for the courts. Play started at 8 a.m., but some of us had to go and see the trainer beforehand and we had to allow at least 30 minutes to practice before the match. Play began and we were at the courts until 9 p.m. Then we had to go and find dinner somewhere.  Well… whatever was open (chinese food). We had some good performances on the first day with Debora, Sarah, Susan and myself advancing to day two of the individual events.

Day Two: Doubles started at 8 a.m. Because of the rain day on day one, the schedule got pushed back and today we would play doubles followed by two rounds of singles. Doubles was tough as Lacey and I had match point against USC and we lost 9-7. Sarah and Hailey were the No. 1 seeds in the invitational draw and killed their first opponents to go through to the next round.  In singles, Sarah was the only Wildcat that got through both singles and she would go forward to day three.

Day Three: Today a few of us were going home and we got to sleep in until 9 a.m., when Coach Vicky picked us up to drive an hour and a half to LAX airport. We arrived at the airport, dropped off the rental car, checked in, went through security (where I met two other English guys who were going to Vegas for a few days) and went to the boarding lounge. You always meet some interesting people at LAX airport.

It was a good trip, but now we will switch our focus to upcoming NCAAs.




Bear Down Challenge W Tennis