HONOLULU, Hawaii. ?- The Arizona women’s tennis team defeated Hawaii 5-2 in a mock dual match, as part of the First Annual Rainbow Wahine Tennis Invitational.
Unlike other fall tournaments, the format of play is similar to dual matches, rather than crowning individual and doubles champions. Despite this format, individual results count, but team records remain unaffected.
The Wildcats won three doubles matches and four of the six singles matches on Friday evening. Seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar defeated Lauren Fitzgerald and Paige Mainor, 8-5, in the No. 1 position on the doubles court. Kelly Perry teamed up with Stephanie Balzert in a victorious effort, 8-2. While Camelia Todorova paired up with Kasia Jakowlew to win their match 8-1.
On the singles court, Hollands lost to Fitzgerald 2-6, 6-7, (7-4), in the No. 1 position. All other Wildcats that competed, won their singles matches, although Perry defaulted the No. 4 spot, due to injury. Mlakar and Balzert won in the No. 2 and 3 positions, both in straight sets. Jakowlew took three sets to defeat Mainor in No. 5 slot, and Todorova defeated Kimberly Curtis 7-5, 6-1
In Thursday’s action, UA faced off against Texas A&M. UA lost five of its six singles matches and all three doubles matches to the Aggies. Mlakar was the sole Wildcat victory defeating Lauren Walker in the No. 2 position 6-3, 4-6, (10-6). Hollands, playing in the No. 1 position, lost to Helga Vieira 2-6, 7-6 (5), (10-7). Balzert was the only other Cat to last three sets, as she lost in the No. 3 slot to Nicki Mechem 1-6, 6-3, (10-2).
On the doubles court, the Wildcats were swept by the Aggies. Hollands and Mlakar lost to Vieira and Anna Lubinksy, 8-4.
Arizona will wrap up the tournament against Texas State Saturday.
Hawaii (Nov. 12)
- Hollands/Mlakar def Fitzgerald/Mainor 8-5
- Perry/Balzert def. Jaros/Sandborn 8-2
- Todorova/Jakowlew def.Boutet/Aikawa 8-1
- Fitzgerald, Lauren def. Hollands, Dianne 2-6 6-7 (7-4)
- Mlakar, Maja def. Jaros, Sylvia 6-1 6-0
- Balzert, Stephanie def. Boutet, Justine 6-2 6-0
- Match Defaulted to Hawaii
- Jakowlew, Kasia def. Mainor, Paige 3-6 6-2 6-1
- Todorova, Camelia def. Curtis, Kimberly 7-5 61
Texas A&M (Nov. 11)
- Vieira/Lubinsky def. Hollands/Mlakar 8-4
- Walker/Clifford def. Balzert/Perry 8-3
- Mechem/Blagodarova def. Jakowlew/Todorova
- Vieira, Helga def. Hollands, Dianne 2-6, 7-6 (5), (10-7)
- Mlakar, Maja def. Walker, Lauren 6-3, 4-6, (10-6)
- Mechem, Nicki def. Balzert Stephanie 1-6, 6-3, (10-2)
- Lubinsky, Anna def. Perry, Kelly 6-3, 4-1 (ret.)
- Blagodarova, Anna def. Jakowlew Kasia 6-1, 6-3
- Druss, Marisa def. Todorova, Camelia 6-0, 7-5