Feb. 11, 2011
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - For their third-consecutive weekend on the road the Wildcat women's tennis team is in San Diego playing both San Diego State University and the University of San Diego. Their first stop at San Diego State University ended with a 5-2 win.
First to finish in doubles was the freshman duo of Kim Stubbe and Lacey Smyth in the No. 2 position. Smyth and Stubbe defeated Sierra Ellison and Olivia Colman, 8-0. Next to finish was the junior team of Natasha Marks and Sarah Landsman who lost 8-3 to Julia Wais and Alicia Aguilar. Last to finish was the team of Susan Mc Rann and Jane Huh in the No. 3 spot. Mc Rann and Huh lost 9-8 to Julia Trunk and Emma Cioffi, giving San Diego State the doubles point.
After losing the doubles point the Wildcats came back strong to win five of six singles matches.
In singles first to finish was Stubbe in the No. 4 position who defeated Sierra Ellison, 6-2, 6-0. In the No. 2 spot Smyth was next to finish, Smyth lost to Aguilar, 6-2, 6-3 for Arizona's only singles loss of the day.
In the No. 3 position Landsman beat Wais, 6-2, 6-2. Fourth to finish was Mc Rann in the No. 5 spot, Mc Rann defeated Cioffi, 7-5, 6-1. In the No. 1 position Marks beat Trunk, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1.
Last to finish was Huh in the No. 6 position. Huh beat Colman, 7-6, 5-7, 10-7.
"After losing the doubles point, the team did a fantastic job of bouncing back to win five out of six singles," said head coach Vicky Maes. "This was a true team win and that was great to see. At the same time, we need to come out stronger tomorrow right off the bat. USD is a solid team too and we cannot always count on our singles play to pull out matches like that."
The Cats play next at the University of San Diego on Saturday, February 12.
No. 58 Arizona 5, No. 60 San Diego State 2
Aztec Tennis Center - San Diego, Calif.
1. Wais/Aguilar (SDSU) def. Marks/Landsman (UA), 8-3
2. Smyth/Stubbe (UA) def. S. Ellison/Olivia Colman (SDSU), 8-0
3. Trunk/Cioffi (SDSU) def. McRann/Huh (UA), 9-8(2)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
SDSU wins doubles point.
1. Natasha Marks (UA) def. Julia Trunk (SDSU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) def. Lacey Smyth (UA), 6-2, 6-3
3. Sarah Landsman (UA) def. Julia Wais (SDSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Kim Stubbe (UA) def. Sierra Ellison (SDSU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Susan McRann (UA) def. Emma Cioffi (SDSU), 7-5, 6-1
6. Jane Huh (UA) def. Olivia Colman (SDSU), 7-6(5), 5-7, 10-7
Order of finish
Singles: 4, 2, 3, 5, 1*, 6