Nov. 18, 2011
TUCSON, Ariz. -
Seniors Ben Grado (Conifer, Colo.) and Ainsley Oliver (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) and freshman Carter Craft (Houston, Texas) all posted impressive results on the first day of the Wildcat Diving Invite at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center.
Grado finished in first place on the men’s 1m for his fourth 1m win and eighth total victory so far this season.
“I thought the Wildcats got off to a very good start,” Arizona head coach Michele Mitchell said. “Ben came from behind to win the one-meter, which was really exciting, because it came down to the last dive.”
Oliver earned a third-place finish on the women’s 3m for her 10th finish in the top three this season.
“Ainsley was third because of her consistency throughout the day,” Mitchell said. “She did a really great job and she really wasn’t feeling too well.”
Craft was the only freshman to advance in a men’s 1m final round that only included senior divers. He went into finals in eighth and finished the meet in seventh.
In addition, sophomore Ashley Herrera (La Palma, Calif.) posted a ninth-place finish for the Wildcats on the women’s 3m.
“Ashley Herrera surprised everyone with her finish,” Mitchell said. “I wasn’t surprised, because she has improved a lot, but a lot of people are talking about her around the pool.”
The Wildcats will resume the meet on Saturday, Nov. 19 at noon with the men’s 3m and the women’s 1m.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Diving, visit ArizonaWildcats.com.
FRIDAY’S FINAL RESULTS
- Ben Grado (Arizona) – 372.45
- Constantin Blaha (Arizona State) – 369.80
- Brandon Watson (BYU) – 361.50
- Cameron Bradshaw (Arizona State) – 351.95
- Taylor Sishc (Stanford) – 319.50
- Noah Garcia (Stanford) – 304.10
- Carter Craft (Arizona) – 285.05
- Travis Day (BYU) – 247.95
- Hailey Casper (Arizona State) – 321.80
- Kristen Meier (SDSU) – 319.85
- Ainsley Oliver (Arizona) – 309.30
- Elina Eggers (Arizona State) – 302.50
- En-tien Huang (Nevada) – 300.60
- Stephanie Phipps (Stanford) – 278.95
- Emma Ivory-Ganja (UCLA) – 244.50
- Molly Hayes (California) – 235.30