TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The No. 49 Arizona women’s tennis team (5-5, 0-1) lost to No. 15 California (6-3) 4-2 Sunday at Robson Tennis Center. The match had begun Saturday, March 5, but rain and lightning in the Tucson area caused the match to be postponed.
Doubles play was completed yesterday, prior to the rain. Seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar remained undefeated in dual match play this year with their 8-6 victory over Suzi Babos and Marion Ravelojaona. UA clinched the doubles point with senior Kelly Perry and sophomore Jessie Rochefort’s 8-3 win against Cristina Visico and Tiffany Lee.
Court Two, pitting Stephanie Balzert and Kasia Jakowlew against Stephanie Kusano and Jessica Shu, did not complete its match. California led the match 8-7, but with Arizona having already won the doubles point, the match was suspended once the rains came down.
Sunday’s singles play saw the Golden Bears take four of the five matches completed, with one suspended due to yet another rain shower. No. 33 Hollands defeated Wiesener, 6-0, 6-0, in the second position, but that would be UA’s only singles win for the afternoon.
Arizona will take on Pac-10 rival Arizona State Wednesday, March 9 in Tucson, beginning at 1 p.m. On Sunday, March 10, UA will host Minnesota, with first serve scheduled for 11 a.m.
California 4, Arizona 2
1. Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Babos/Ravelojaona (CAL) 8-6
2. Balzert/Jakowlew (UA) ?- Kusano/Shu (CAL) Match Suspended (CAL led 8-7)
3. Perry/Rochefort (UA) def. Visico/Lee (CAL) 8-3
- No. 7 Suzi Babos (CAL) Maja Mlakar (UA) 6-1, 6-1
- No. 33 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Monica Wiesener (CAL) 6-0, 6-0
- Stephanie Kusano (CAL) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 6-1, 6-2
- Marion Ravelojaona (CAL) ?- Kelly Perry (UA) Match Suspended (CAL led 7-6, 4-1)
- Jessica Shu (CAL) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-1, 6-4