Feb. 17, 2012
TUCSON, Ariz. -
Arizona Women’s Tennis won its third-straight match with its defeat of No. 61 North Texas by a score of 6-1 on Friday at Robson Tennis Center.
The Wildcats came out strong, winning all three doubles matches and earning the doubles point.
Sophomore Lacey Smyth (Oceanside, Calif.) and senior Natasha Marks (Nottingham, England) won at the No.1 spot, senior Sarah Landsman (Syosset, N.Y.) and freshman Hailey Johnson (San Diego, Calif.) won at the No. 2 spot and sophomores Kim Stubbe (Mol, Belgium) and Susan McRann (Dublin, Ireland) won at No. 3.
In singles play, Arizona swept the competition, winning five of six matches on the day. Marks and Landsman continued their undefeated streaks with victories over Nadia Lee and Valentina Starkova, respectively.
Smyth earned a win in straight-sets at No. 1 singles, Stubbe posted a win at No. 4 and McRann won at the No. 5 spot.
“This was an excellent match for us,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “I felt we played great all the way through and it was a complete team win. I'm really pleased with our improvements in doubles this week and it set the tone for the rest of the match. Overall, a fantastic effort and a lot of good energy to carry over into our next match.”
The Wildcats will get right back on the court on Saturday, Feb. 18 to take on No. 46 Cal Poly at noon at Robson Tennis Center.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, check back to ArizonaWildcats.com.
Arizona 6, North Texas 1
1. Smyth/Marks (Arizona) def. Paraschiv/Bardabush (UNT), 8-4
2. Landsman/Johnson (Arizona) def. Lee/Sprinkmeyer (UNT), 8-2
3. Stubbe/McRann (Arizona) def. Vykydalova/Serchenko (UNT), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. Lacey Smyth (Arizona) def. Kseniya Bardabush (UNT), 6-2, 7-6 (5)
2. Sarah Landsman (Arizona) def. Valentina Starkova (UNT), 6-3, 6-4
3. Natasha Marks (Arizona) def. Nadia Lee (UNT), 7-6 (2), 6-2
4. Kim Stubbe (Arizona) def. Irina Paraschev (UNT), 6-2, 6-0
5. Susan McRann (Arizona) def. Paula Dinuta (UNT), 6-2, 6-1
6. Ilona Serchenko (UNT) def Debora Castany (Arizona), 6-4, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 5*, 1, 6, 3