Feb. 23, 2003
TUCSON, Ariz. - The Arizona women's tennis team fell to a Pac-10 opponent for the first time in two days. The Wildcats nearly upset No. 9 UCLA, but lost the match, 4-3.
In singles play, Arizona dropped four of six matches to the visiting Bruins. In the No. 1 spot, graduate student Emilie Scribot fell to No. 84 Jackie Carleton, 7-6, 6-7, 6-3. In the second position, sophomore Maja Mlakar (31) was defeated by Susi Wild, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4. Sophomore Dianne Hollands recorded the first singles win of the match for Arizona, downing UCLA's Sarah Gregg, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3. Junior Debbie Larocque also won her match in the fourth spot, defeating Laura Gordon, 7-6, 6-1. In the fifth position, sophomore Kelly Perry was defeated by Anya Loncaric, 6-3, 6-3. Freshman Kristy Randono fell to UCLA's Shilpa Joshi, 5-7, 7-5, 7-6.
In doubles action, the Wildcats swept the Bruins to win the doubles point. In the No. 1 spot, Arizona's duo of Hollands and Scribot defeated Carleton and Wild, 8-3. In the second position, No. 25 Mlakar and Larocque defeated Gordon and Gregg, 8-1. Rounding out the doubles wins for Arizona, Perry teamed up with freshman Zorica Zasova to defeat UCLA's Joshi and Loncaric, 8-6.
Arizona is 2-3 on the season, and 0-3 in Pac-10 play. The Wildcats have lost their last three matches, all versus conference opponents, to Oregon, USC, and UCLA. The Arizona women's tennis team will look for its first Pac-10 win Wednesday, Feb. 26, when the Wildcats host in-state rival No. 8 Arizona State. The match will begin at 1 p.m. at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. Jackie Carleton (UCLA) def. Emilie Scribot (UA), 7-6, 6-7, 6-3
2. Susi Wild (UCLA) def. Maja Mlakar (UA), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
3. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Sarah Gregg (UCLA), 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
4. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Laura Gordon (UCLA), 7-6, 6-1
5. Anya Loncaric (UCLA) def. Kelly Perry (UA), 6-3, 6-3
6. Shilpa Joshi (UCLA) def. Kristy Randono (UA), 5-7, 7-5, 7-6
1. Hollands/Scribot (UA) def. Carleton/Wild (UCLA), 8-3
2. Mlakar/Larocque (UA) def. Gordon/Gregg (UCLA), 8-1
3. Perry/Zasova (UA) def. Joshi/Loncaric (UCLA), 8-6