Berkeley, Calif. ?- The No. 26 Arizona men’s tennis (5-2) fell to the No. 26 California Golden Bears (3-1) today, Feb. 12. The Golden Bears defeated the Wildcats by a score of 4-2, giving Arizona its second loss of the season.
Due to the postponement of Arizona and Cal’s matches yesterday, singles were played first today as a precaution. To begin singles action, Arizona’s junior No. 58 Roger Matalonga fell to No. 21 Conor Niland, 6-2, 6-4. Continuing his unbeaten streak in dual match play, senior Colin O’Grady defeated Daniel Sebescen, 6-2, 6-1. In only his second singles match of the year, junior Daniel Andrus fell to Tyler Browne, 6-4, 6-2. On court three, in the toughest match of the day, senior Paul Warkentin fell to Patrick Briaud, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, clinching the Golden Bear victory. Freshman Bruno Alcala fell to Ken Nakahara, 6-2, 6-4. Finishing it off and continuing his strong start on this young season, redshirt freshman Jason Labrosee defeated Dean Wallace, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.
With Cal already gaining the four points necessary for the Golden Bear victory, doubles was not played today.
Sunday, Feb. 13, the Wildcats will conclude their match against Stanford, first serve at 11:00 a.m.
Results: Arizona vs. California
- No. 21 Conor Niland (CAL) def. No. 58 Roger Matalonga (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-4
- Colin O’Grady (UA) def. Daniel Sebescen (CAL) ?- 6-2, 6-1
- Patrick Briaud (CAL) def. Paul Warkentin (UA) ?- 4-6, 6-3, 7-6
- Tyler Browne (CAL) def. Daneil Andrus (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-2
- Ken Nakahara (CAL) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 6-2, 6-4
- Jason Labrosse (UA) def. Dean Wallace (CAL) ?- 6-3, 3-6, 6-1