Feb. 25, 2012
MONTGOMERY, Ala. -
Arizona’s No. 33-ranked women’s tennis team split a pair of matches on Saturday at the Blue-Gray Classic in Montgomery, Ala. after waiting out a rain delay on Friday.
The Wildcats defeated No. 57 SMU in their first match of the day in a 4-2 decision, but fell to No. 12 Virginia in their second match, 4-0.
“Today was a bit of a challenging day for the Cats,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “I feel we made it a bit too hard on ourselves in the first round against SMU, which led us to get off to a slow start in the second match with Virginia.”
In the first match versus SMU, the Wildcats started strong in singles play, as sophomores Susan McRann (Dublin, Ireland) and Kim Stubbe (Mol, Belgium), freshman Hailey Johnson (San Diego, Calif.) and senior Natasha Marks (Nottingham, England) all earned victories to seal an Arizona victory.
The Wildcats then had to rally and take on Virginia for its second match of the day. Despite Smyth and Stubbe each taking a set in their respective matches, Arizona fell in four of the other singles matches and the Cavaliers took the match.
“Against SMU, we played a little too casual, which made the matches drag on for a while,” Maes said. “Against Virginia, we were down fast on every court before we realized we were just as good as they were. When you play the No. 12-ranked team in the nation, you are not going to get away with that.”
Arizona did not play doubles in either match.
The Wildcats will play No. 58 Illinois on Sunday at 10 a.m. CT in their last match of the tournament.
“I do think it was another great opportunity for learning and I have called on the team to have a quick turnaround and come out tomorrow with a stronger sense of urgency,” Maes said. “We saw today that Illinois is a solid team and that we will have to play well to beat them.”
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, check back to ArizonaWildcats.com.
Virginia 4, Arizona 0
1. Emily Fraser (Virginia) vs. Lacey Smyth (Arizona), 6-4, 3-6, DNF
2. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Virginia) def. Sarah Landsman (Arizona), 6-2, 6-2
3. Li Xi (Virginia) def. Natasha Marks (Arizona), 6-3, 6-1
4. Kim Stubbe (Arizona) vs. Hana Tomljanovic (Virginia), 6-4, 3-6, DNF
5. Erin Vierra (Virginia) def. Susan McRann (Arizona), 6-0, 6-4
6. Caryssa Peretz (Virginia) def. Hailey Johnson (Arizona), 6-2, 7-6
*NO DOUBLES WAS PLAYED
Arizona 4, SMU 2
1. Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) def. Lacey Smyth (Arizona), 6-3, 6-4
2. Elena Fayner (SMU) def. Sarah Landsman (Arizona), 6-4, 6-2
3. Natasha Marks (Arizona) def. Heather Steinbauer (SMU), 6-2, 6-7, 6-0
4. Kim Stubbe (Arizona) def. Ashley Turpin (SMU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Susan McRann (Arizona) def. Kris Roberts (SMU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Hailey Johnson (Arizona) def. Perri Anderson (SMU), 6-0, 6-1
*NO DOUBLES WAS PLAYED