“This was a golden opportunity to cross off one of our goals and finally beat Stanford,” said assistant coach Tom Lloyd. “Bottom line, they showed up today and all of our guys didn’t. They looked distracted, and the grit wasn’t there.”
At No.1 doubles Jason Labrosse and Claudio Christen found themselves in a hole, down 6-3 and two breaks against Stanford’s Matt Bruch and Blake Muller. Momentum shifted in the tenth game as Muller nonchalantly hammered an easy overhead and Labrosse managed to return it for a winner, sparking the Wildcats to rally back and even the match at eight-all. In the tiebreaker Stanford was able to pull away 7-3. In the remaining doubles matches, both Cardinal teams were able to break serve once, which provided them with enough of an advantage to win the doubles point and complete the sweep.
Junior Jason Labrosse evened the dual at one point apiece with a dominant 6-1, 6-2 win over sophomore Jeff Zeller. Court No. 2 featured a match between two players with contrasting styles. Freshman Ravid Hezi’s heavy-topsin ground strokes did not seem to deter Muller from consistently delivering hard, flat shots. Hezi hung tough before surrendering a break in each set in a 6-4, 6-4 loss. Stanford pulled ahead 4-1 after Kevin Kaiser and Richard Wire defeated Peter Zimmer and Christen, respectively. Christen was obviously bothered by a sore ankle which he agitated during doubles play. Both Hezi and Christen showed signs of possibly forcing a third set in their matches, but neither were able to capitalize on minimal leads.
The Wildcats will hope to even their conference record at 1-1 tomorrow as they host No. 48 Cal-Berkeley (10-6). The match will be played at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Complex and is scheduled to begin at noon.
No. 55 Stanford 4, No. 75
1. Matt Bruch/Muller (S) def. Christen/J. Labrosse (UA) 9-8(5)
2. Paul Morrisey/Wire (S) def. Alcala/Hezi (UA) 8-6
3. Kaiser/McKean (S) def. Francois VanderMerwe/Zimmer (UA) 8-6
1. Richard Wire (S) def. Christen (UA) 6-4, 7-5
2. Alcala (UA) def. Eric McKean (S) 6-3, 6-7(5), 1-0
3. Blake Muller def. Hezi (UA) 6-4, 6-3
4. J. Labrosse (UA) def. Jeff Zeller (S) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kevin Kaiser (S) def. Zimmer (UA) 6-3, 6-3
6. A. Labrosse (UA) def. Dave Ryan (S) 6-3, 6-4