Tucson, Ariz. - The No. 30 Arizona women’s tennis team (12-10, 3-4) fell Saturday to No. 11 Califronia (15-6, 6-1), 6-1 at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. Arizona lost the doubles point and won one of five singles matches.
In doubles play, senior Stephanie Balzert and sophomore Juliette Mavroleon fell in the number one position against California’s Zsuzanna Fodor and Suzi Babos, 8-1. On court two, freshman Danielle Steinberg and sophomore Camelia Todorova defeated Stephanie Kusano and Bojana Bobusic, 8-5. California took the doubles point after juniors Kasia Jakowlew and Jessie Rochefort fell in the number three position to Marion Ravelojano and Clare Ilcinkas, 8-6.
In singles play, the Wildcats were only able to claim one point in singles. Freshman No. 48 Danielle Steinberg defeated No. 10 Zsuzanna Fodor on court one.
Next week, Arizona will host its last match of the season as they face in-state rival Arizona State next Saturday, April 22, at 1 p.m.
Fodor/Babos (Cal) def. Balzert/Mavroleon (UA) 8-1
Steinberg/Todorova (UA) def. Kusano/Bobusic (Cal) 8-5
Ravelojaona/Ilcinkas (Cal) def. Jakowlew/Rochefort (UA) 8-6
1. # 48 Danielle Steinberg (UA) def. #10 Zsuzanna Fodor (Cal) 6-3, 3-6, 10-7
2. # 27Suzi Babos (Cal) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-3, 3-0 DNF
3. Stephanie Kusano (Cal) def. Tina Razloznik (UA) 6-0, 6-0
4. # 98 Cristina Visico (Cal) def. Camelia Todorova (UA) 6-4, 6-3
5. Bojana Bobusic (Cal) def. Jessie Rochefort (UA) 6-0, 6-3
6. Jessica Shu (Cal) def. Iza Ferriera (UA) 6-0, 6-1
Final Score: 6-1 Cal