TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The No. 42 Arizona’s Women’s Tennis team defeated the UTEP Miners (0-1) 7-0, to improve to 2-0 on the season. The match was Arizona’s home-opener due to the Jan. 21 rainout against UC Davis. The Wildcats won two of the three doubles matches and won all six singles matches. Only one match went three sets.
After the match, Arizona Head Coach Vicky Maes said, “Anytime your team wins 7-0, it’s a good thing. We just have to work on getting a better start in every match and then take care of business.”
No. 17-ranked seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar defeated Weronika Bloczynska and Kendall Exelby, 8-2, in the first doubles position. In the No. 2 slot, senior Kelly Perry teamed with junior Stephanie Balzert to defeat Joanna Furdyna and Teri Wilkerson, 8-3. Sophomore Jessie Rochefort and freshman Camelia Todorova lost to Tea Spirta and Danielle King, 8-4, in what would be UTEP’s only victory on the afternoon.
In singles play, No. 63 Mlakar defeated Exelby, 6-4, 6-1, in the first position, while on the neighboring court No. 23 Hollands beat Spirta, 6-2, 6-4, in the No. 2 slot. Balzert defeated UTEP’s newest addition to the team, Bloczynska, 6-1, 6-1, while her doubles partner Perry knocked off Furdyna 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4. Sophomore Kasia Jakowlew has an eight-match winning streak after her 6-3, 6-0 victory over Wilkerson. Rounding out the pack, Rochefort completed the sweep of the Miners with a 7-5, 4-6, 6-1 win over King.
Arizona plays next on Saturday, Jan. 29, against No. 39 Sacramento State (0-1) at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center beginning at noon. UTEP and Sacramento State will face off in Tucson on Friday, Jan. 28, at 11 a.m.
1. Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Bloczynska/Exelby (UTEP) 8-2
2. Balzert/Perry (UA) def. Furdyna/Wilkerson (UTEP) 8-3
3. King/Spirta (UTEP) def. Rochefort/Todorova (UA) 8-4
1. Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Kendall Exelby (UTEP) 6-4, 6-1
2. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Tea Spirta (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
3. Stephanie Balzert (UA) def. Weronika Bloczynska (UTEP) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Joanna Furdyna (UTEP) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) def. Teri Wilkerson (UTEP) 6-3, 6-0
6. Jessie Rochefort (UA) def. Danielle King (UTEP) 7-5, 4-6, 6-1