TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The No. 47 Arizona women’s tennis team (6-7, 0-2) lost to No. 12 UCLA (10-4, 3-0), 5-2, today at Robson Tennis Center. After winning the doubles point, the Bruins won the first three singles matches to win the match. Arizona’s three seniors each put up a fight, winning two of the final three singles matches.
Seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar lost for just the second time in 13 dual matches this year, as the Bruins swept doubles play. Hollands and Mlakar lost to the third-ranked doubles pair in the nation, Riza Zalameda and Daniela Bercek, 9-7.
In singles play, Mlakar upset No. 18 Zalameda, 7-5, 6-2, in the second position. For UA’s other point, senior Kelly Perry beat Bruin senior Sarah Gregg, 6-2, 6-2, at the four. None of the six singles match went more than two sets.
Arizona next plays tomorrow against No. 5 Southern California at Robson Tennis Center, beginning at noon. The match will wrap up UA’s six-match homestand.
UCLA 5, Arizona 2
1. No. 3 Bercek/Zalameda (UCLA) def. Mlakar/Hollands (UA) 9-7
2. Gordon/McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Balzert/Jakowlew (UA) 8-6
3. Gregg/Lin (UCLA) def. Perry/Rochefort (UA) 8-4
- No. 32 Daniela Bercek (UCLA) def. No. 37 Dianne Hollands (UA) 6-2, 7-5
- Maja Mlakar (UA) def. No. 18 Riza Zalameda 7-5, 6-2
- Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 6-2, 6-2
- Kelly Perry (UA) def. Sarah Gregg (UCLA) 6-2, 6-2
- Tracey Lin (UCLA) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-0, 6-4
- Laura Gordon (UCLA) def. Jessie Rochefort (UA) 7-5, 6-1