LOS ANGELES, Calif. ?- The Arizona men’s tennis team (5-13) began a weekend in California at the home of the Trojans to compete against No. 9 ranked USC (17-1). The Wildcats were unable to pick up their first Pac-10 win this spring, dropping the match 6-1.
The Trojans dominated doubles play, winning two of the three matches at love. Arizona’s duo of Claudio Christen and Jason Labrosse was the only team able to pry away a couple games from USC in an 8-2 loss to Kaes Van’t Hof and Robert Farah.
In singles, the results were similar to the last time the two teams met on March 17, as Arizona was only able to win one of the six singles points. The lone win came at No. 4 from Peter Zimmer, who defeated Southern California’s Robert Farah 2-6, 6-3, (11-9) in a match decided by a tiebreaker in place of a third set. Labrosse came close in his match before eventually falling in three sets to Van’t Hof.
Tomorrow, the Wildcats will remain in Los Angeles as they take on No. 10 UCLA (13-3). The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
No. 9 USC 6, Arizona 1
1. No. 38 Farah/Van’t Hof (USC) def. Christen/J. Labrosse (UA) 8-2
2. No. 58 Cvetkovic/Sacks (USC) def. Alcala/Hezi (UA) 8-0
3. Al-Agba/Snyder (USC) def. VanderMerwe/Zimmer (UA) 8-0
1. No. 45 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. No. 83 Christen (UA) 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 44 Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) 6-3, 7-5
3. No. 101 Kaes Van’t Hof (USC) def. J. Labrosse (UA) 6-4, 6-7 (4), (10-0)
4. Zimmer (UA) def. Robert Farah (USC) 2-6, 6-3, (11-9)
5. Gary Sacks (USC) def. Alex Labrosse (UA) 6-3, 6-46. Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Milos Romic (UA) 6-2, 6-4