TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The Arizona women’s tennis team (5-3, 0-1) opened up its 2005 Pacific-10 season with a loss 4-3 to Oregon (9-1, 2-1) at Robson Tennis Center today. The Wildcats began the afternoon dropping two of three doubles matches, with seniors Maja Mlakar and Dianne Hollands providing Arizona’s lone doubles victory. UA split the singles matches with Oregon, ultimately losing the last match in the nail-biting loss.
In doubles play, Oregon’s Anna Leksinska and Jamie Marshall took the No. 2 position from junior Stephanie Balzert and senior Kelly Perry, 8-6. At No. 3, Davina Mendiburu and Ester Bak defeated freshman Camelia Todorova and sophomore Jessie Rochefort, 8-5, to give the Ducks the doubles point.
With the doubles point already lost, Mlakar and Hollands continued their battle, defeating Daria Panova and Dominika Dieskova, 8-6 at No. 1, to remain undefeated in dual match play this year.
In singles play, UA came out strong, winning the first two matches to take a 2-1 lead. Perry was the first to finish, defeating Marshall 6-2, 6-3, in the fourth position. At the three, Perry’s doubles partner Balzert finished off Mendiburu with an identical 6-2, 6-3 score to give the Wildcats their first, and only, lead on the day.
The Ducks tied the match with Panova’s 7-6, 6-3 victory over Mlakar in the No. 1 position, before Oregon regained the lead with Bak’s 6-4, 6-3 win over Todorova.
The Wildcats were still not beaten, as Hollands won her match over Dieskova 7-6, 6-3, in the second position to tie the match 3-3.
The match came down to the No. 5 position, where Lekskinska defeated sophomore Jakowlew 6-4, 7-5, to clinch Oregon’s victory.
This was just the second time all season that Arizona has lost the doubles point, and the Wildcats’ first home loss of the season.
1. Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Panova/Dieskova (UO) 8-6
2. Leksinska/Marshall (UO) def. Balzert/Perry (UA) 8-6
3. Mendiburu/Bak (UO) def. Todorova/Rochefort (UA) 8-5
- Daria Panova (UO) def. Maja Mlakar (UA) 7-6, 6-3
- Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Dominika Dieskova (UO) 7-6, 6-3
- Stephanie Balzert (UA) def. Davina Mendiburu (UO) 6-2, 6-3
- Kelly Perry (UA) def. Jamie Marshall (UO) 6-2, 6-3
- Anna Leksinska (UO) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-4, 7-5
- Ester Bak (UO) def. Camelia Todorova (UA) 6-2, 6-3