STANFORD, Calif. ?- Undefeated and top-ranked Stanford defeated the No. 38 Arizona women’s tennis team, 4-0, on Saturday afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center in the second round of the Division I women’s tennis championships.
“Stanford is the top team in the nation and they played very well today,” head coach Vicky Maes said. “I can’t say we played poorly. We were just out-matched. I was pretty happy with the effort of our team.”
Stanford jumped out to an early advantage, earning the doubles point with a pair of victories. No. 1 Alice Barnes and Anne Yelsey won easily on court one, defeating UA’s Stephanie Balzert and Juliette Mavrolon, 8-1. Stanford clinched the doubles point on court three, as Lejla Hodzic and Jessica Nguyen teamed up to beat Kasia Jakowlew and Jessie Rochefort, 8-4.
In singles action, No. 5 Barnes defeated Balzert, 6-2, 6-0 on court two. No. 52 Deason dispatched UA’s Todorova, 6-0, 6-1 on court five. Stanford locked up the match on court six, as No. 73 Nguyen bested Rochefort, 6-1, 6-1.
The loss brings
Steinberg will compete individually at the 2006 NCAA Division I women's tennis championships May 23-28.
1. #1 Alice Barnes/Anne Yelsey (S) def. Stephanie Balzert/Juliette Mavroleon (A), 8-1
2. #22 Celia Durkin/Amber Liu (S) led Danielle Steinberg/Camelia Todorova (A), 7-4, DNF
3. Lejla Hodzic/Jessica Nguyen (S) def. Kasia Jakowlew/Jessie Rochefort (A), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. #8 Amber Liu (S) led #37 Danielle Steinberg (A), 6-3, 0-0 DNF
2. #5 Alice Barnes (S) def. Stephanie Balzert (A), 6-2, 6-0
3. #10 Theresa Logar (S) led #81 Juliette Mavroleon (A), 6-1, 2-2 DNF
4. #11 Anne Yelsey (S) led Kasia Jakowlew (A), 6-1, 3-1 DNF
5. #52 Whitney Deason (S) def. Camelia Todorova (A), 6-0, 6-1
6. #73 Jessica Nguyen (S) def. Jessie Rochefort (A), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 5, 6