March 27, 2010
TUCSON--The No. 55 Arizona women's tennis team lost to No. 12 Stanford 6-1 on Saturday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
The Cardinal domination began with a sweep of the doubles matches. In the No. 2 spot, seniors Claire Rietsch and Natalia Toporowska started off with a 6-3 lead, but were unable to hold off the No. 24 ranked duo of Mallory Burdette and Stacey Tan. The Cardinal pair came out on top 8-6.
In singles, the only Wildcat win of the day came on court two. Sophomore Sarah Landsman defeated Stanford's Lindsay Burdette, ranked at No. 40 in the ITA, 6-4, 6-2.
On court one, sophomore Natasha Marks started off with a 6-3 win in the first set, but No. 8 Hilary Barte came back to win the second two sets 6-3, 10-8.
"Stanford is a solid team all the way down the line-up." Said head coach Vicky Maes, "We had our chances here and there but couldn't put them away consistently enough. We played well though and that is encouraging going into next week."
With today's loss, Arizona falls to 10-6, 1-4 Pac-10, and Stanford improves to 13-1, 2-0 Pac-10.
Up next, Arizona heads to Los Angeles to face Cal State Northridge on Friday, April 2 at 1pm. On Saturday, April 3, Arizona will take on Loyola Marymount at Noon.
1. No. 2 Barte/L. Burdette STAN def. Landsman/Huh UA 8-0
2. No. 24 M. Burdette/Tan STAN def. Rietsch/Toporowska UA 8-6
3. McVeigh/Li STAN def. Marks/Castany UA 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. No. 8 Barte STAN def. No. 93 Marks UA 3-6, 6-3, 10-8
2. Landsman UA def. No. 40 L. Burdette STAN 6-4, 6-2
3. No. 37 M. Burdette STAN def. Rietsch UA 6-1, 6-3
4. No. 66 Tan STAN def. Toporowska UA 6-1, 6-2
5. No. 85 McVeigh STAN def. Castany UA 6-1, 6-2*
6. Li STAN def. Huh UA 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 5, 2, 6, 1