Feb. 18, 2012
TUCSON, Ariz. -
Arizona Women’s Tennis continued its winning streak with a 6-1 victory over No. 46 Cal Poly on Saturday at Robson Tennis Center for its second win in two days.
“I'm pleased with our weekend and how we competed,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “I give a lot of credit to Cal Poly for how they fought in spite of being a player down. We really had to play tough to get every win.”
The Wildcats won the doubles point to start the match, as sophomores Susan McRann (Dublin, Ireland) and Kim Stubbe (Mol, Belgium) earned a victory at No. 2 and sophomore Lacey Smyth (Oceanside, Calif.) and senior Natasha Marks (Nottingham, England) won at No.1.
The four players continued their success into singles play. Smyth defeated Cal Poly’s Alexa Lee at the No. 1 spot, Marks earned a win over Jocelyn Davis at No. 2, Stubbe defeated Gabrielle Gatewood at No. 3 and McRann earned a win over Kathryn Webb at the No. 4 spot.
“I saw a lot of progress in our doubles this weekend and that was very encouraging,” Maes said. “In singles, too, I felt our players broke through some personal barriers. I'm very happy with where we are heading and we intend to keep it going. Next week will be brutal playing three matches in a row, but we are getting more confident by the week and I know we'll be ready.”
The Wildcats will hit the road for the Blue-Gray Classic in Montgomery, Ala., beginning Friday, Feb. 24 and continuing through Sunday, Feb. 26.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, check back to ArizonaWildcats.com.
Arizona 6, Cal Poly 1
1. Smyth/Marks (Arizona) def. Lee/Davis 8-5
2. McRann/Stubbe (Arizona) def. Webb/McPike 8-1
3. Cal Poly default
Order of Finish: 2*, 1
1. Lacey Smyth (Arizona) def. Alexa Lee (Cal Poly), 7-5, 2-6, 10-5
2. Natasha Marks (Arizona) def. Jocelyn Davis (Cal Poly), 6-2, 6-1
3. Kim Stubbe (Arizona) def. Gabrielle Gatewood (Cal Poly),6-0, 6-3
4. Susan McRann (Arizona) def. Kathryn Webb (Cal Poly), 7-6 (4), 5-7, 13-11
5. Ane McPike (CalPoly) def Debora Castany (Arizona), 2-6, 4-6
6. Cal Poly default
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 5, 1*, 4