Tucson, Ariz. ?- The No. 42 men’s tennis team (7-5) fell today to No. 9 USC (7-5), at the Robson Tennis Center. After losing the doubles point, the Wildcats we’re only able to take two of the six singles matches before losing to the Trojans by the score of 5-2.
The Wildcats fell behind early to the Trojans, as junior Daniel Andrus and freshman Bruno Alcala fell to Drew Hoskins and Adam Loucks, 8-4. Trying to swing the momentum, the No. 53 tandem of senior Colin O’Grady and junior Roger Matalonga defeated No. 25 Jamil Al-Agba, 8-6. In the decisive doubles match, junior Tim Mullane and freshman Claudio Christen fell to Jarryd Cooper and Kaes Van’t Hof, 8-5.
To begin singles action, playing in the No. 2 spot, No. 48 Matalonga defeated Berg, 6-1, 6-1. Competing in the No. 3 position, Andrus fell in a tough match to No. 54 Hoskins, 4-6, 2-6. Bring the match back with-in reach for the Wildcats, senior Paul Warkentin defeated Brian Wright, 7-6, 6-0.
From there on out, the Trojans took control of the match, taking the last three singles matches to defeat the Wildcats today. In the No. 1 spot, O’Grady fell to 24 Al-Agba, 2-6, 4-6. Redshirt freshman Jason Labrosse fell to Loucks, 4-6, 4-6. Wrapping up action this afternoon, in the closet match of the day, Alcala fell to Van’t Hof, 6-7, 4-7.
The Wildcats will be back in action tomorrow, Saturday, Mar. 12, hosting No. 8 UCLA, with first serve scheduled for 1 p.m.
No. 42 Arizona 2, No. 9 USC 2
- No. 53 O’Grady/Matalonga (UA) def. No. 25 Al-Agba/Berg (USC) ?- 8-6
- Hoskins/Loucks (USC) def. Alcala/Andrus (UA) ?- 8-4
- Cooper/Van’t Hof (USC) def. Christen/Mullane (UA) ?- 8-5
- No. 24 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Colin O’Grady (UA) ?- 6-2, 6-4
- No. 48 Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Johan Berg (USC) ?- 6-1, 6-1
- No. 54 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Daniel Andrus (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-2
- Paul Warkentin (UA) def. Brian Wright (USC) ?- 7-6, 6-0
- Kaes Van’t Hof (USC) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 7-6(7-4), 6-2
- Adam Loucks (USC) def. Jason Labrosse (UA)- 4-6, 4-6