TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The No. 62 University of Arizona men’s tennis team (5-9) lost their second match in as many days, falling 6-1 to No. 4 USC. The win extends Southern California’s record, which was once undefeated at 11-0, to 13-1 this spring.
At No. 1 doubles, Arizona’s Claudio Christen and Ravid Hezi dropped an 8-3 contest to the duo of Kaes Van't Hof and Robert Farah. USC was then able to capture the doubles point with a sweep of the other two matches.
A bright spot for the Wildcats came at the No. 1 singles position, where Christen was able to upset USC’s No. 77 Dejan Cvetkovic in straight sets 6-4, 6-4. Hezi, a freshman, took No. 45 Jamil Al-Agba three sets before succumbing 4-6, 6-2, 6-4. At No. 3, Bruno Alcala lost to the reigning Pac-10 player of the week Hof 6-2, 6-4. At the five spot, No. 113 Jason McNaughton needed two tiebreakers to defeat Arizona’s Peter Zimmer.
“The match was similar to yesterday’s against UCLA,” noted assistant coach Tom Lloyd. “We had an opportunity in four of the six singles matches to take the first set, but we were only able to come away with one. Still, all the guys played hard.”
The Wildcats have been up and down this season, stringing together a collection of wins as well as losses over various stretches. Next week, they will be back in action for one match on March 24 as they take on rival Arizona State. The match is scheduled to begin at noon and will take place at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Complex.
No. 4 USC 6, No. 62 Arizona 1
1. Van't Hof/Farah (USC) def. Christen/Hezi (UA) 8-3
2. Cvetkovic/Sacks (USC) def. J. Labrosse/Zimmer (UA) 8-2
3. Al-Agba/Garret Snyder (USC) def. Alcala/Romic (UA) 8-1
1. Christen (UA) def. No. 77 Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 45 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Hezi (UA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Kaes Van’t Hof (USC) def. Alcala (UA) 6-2, 6-4
4. Robert Farah (USC) def. Jason Labrosse (UA) 7-6, 6-2
5. No. 113 Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Zimmer (UA) 7-6, 7-6
6. Gary Sacks (USC) def. Alex Labrosse (UA) 6-2, 6-3