March 4, 2012
TUCSON, Ariz. -
Arizona’s No. 29-ranked women’s tennis team earned another win over a ranked opponent as it defeated No. 20 Saint Mary’s in a 5-2 decision at Robson Tennis Center on Sunday. The victory gave the Wildcats a perfect 7-0 record at home and a 9-3 record overall.
“This is a good win for our program and I'm really proud of the girls,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “They came out wanting nothing less but a big win and they backed it up.”
Arizona came out fighting hard in doubles play, earning a win on all three courts. Sophomore Lacey Smyth (Oceanside, Calif.) and senior Natasha Marks (Nottingham, England) set the standard, winning at No. 1, sophomores Susan McRann (Dublin, Ireland) and Kim Stubbe (Mol, Belgium) were not far behind at No. 3 and senior Sarah Landsman (Syosset, N.Y.) and freshman Hailey Johnson (San Diego, Calif.) finished out their match for a victory at No. 2.
“The doubles were strong on all courts,” Maes said. “We got the early leads, which was very important, and then we just kept cruising on all three courts.”
In singles play, Marks was first to finish with her straight-set defeat of No. 119 Catherine Isip at the No. 2 position. McRann earned a win next over Catherine Leduc at the No. 5 spot and Landsman sealed the win for the Wildcats with her victory over Anna Chkhikvishvilli at No. 3.
In addition, Stubbe posted a win over Jade Frampton to give Arizona another point.
“In singles we got quick wins from Tash, Sarah, and Susan which gave us the win,” Maes said. “All other matches were decided by super tiebreakers, so they were very close as well. The goal was to compete on all courts and I feel we accomplished that. We need to keep our momentum going into next week's match.”
The Wildcats will have a couple of days off before hosting No. 72 North Carolina State on Wednesday, March 7 at noon at Robson Tennis Center. It will mark Arizona’s last non-conference match before embarking on Pac-12 play on Friday, March 16.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, check back to ArizonaWildcats.com.
Arizona 5, Saint Mary’s 2
1. Smyth/Marks (Arizona) def. Isip/Searl (SMC), 8-1
2. Landsman/Johnson (Arizona) def. Jullien/Leduc (SMC), 8-6
3. McRann/Stubbe (Arizona) def. Frampton/Lindlar (SMC), 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3*, 2
1. Jenny Jullien (SMC) def. Lacey Smyth (Arizona), 5-7, 6-4 (10-7)
2. Natasha Marks (Arizona) def. Catherine Isip (SMC), 6-0, 6-1
3. Sarah Landsman (Arizona) def. Anna Chkhikvishvilli (SMC), 6-3, 6-2
4. Kim Stubbe (Arizona) def. Jade Frampton (SMC), 6-2, 4-6, (11-9)
5. Susan McRann (Arizona) def. Catherine Leduc (SMC), 6-1, 6-3
6. Carla Lindlar (SMC) def. Debora Castany (Arizona), 6-2, 4-6, (10-2)
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 3*, 6, 4, 1