Eugene, Ore. ?C The University of Arizona womenˇ?s tennis dropped its conference dual match today against the Oregon Ducks, 6-1.
In doubles play, Danielle Steinberg and Claire Rietsch picked up one doubles win, but it came too late, as courts two and three had already been won by the Ducks.
With a 1-0 lead, Oregon kept rolling with singles victories on courts one through five. Arizona never gave up though as sophomore Katie Orletsky won her match on court six and three of her teammates took their respective matches to three sets. But the Ducks proved to be too tough today.
The loss now drops the teamˇ?s record to 7-9, while Oregon improves to 8-8.
Next week the Cats will conclude their four match road trip with a duel vs. rival Arizona State on March 22nd.
1. Steinberg/ Rietsch (UA) def. Rolly/ Powaska (UO), 5-5 [7-3]
2. Seremeta/ Hirt (UO) def. Toporowska/ Orletsky (UA), 8-6
3. Olivos/ Macfarlane (UO) def. Masschelein/ Huh (UA), 8-0
Oregon wins doubles point
1. Celine Rolly (UO) def. Danielle Steinberg (UA), 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
2. Carmen Seremeta (UO) def. Claire Rietsch (UA), 6-3, 6-4
3. Anna Powaska (UO) def. Natalie Torporowska (UA), 6-7, 6-1, 6-4
4. Stephanie Macfarlane (UO) def. Ariane Masschelein (UA), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
5. Ana Cecilia Olivos (UO) def. Jane Huh (UA), 6-3, 6-3
6. Katie Orletsky (UA) def. Claudia Hirt (UO), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 ?