Albuquerque, N.M. ?- For the second consecutive match, the No. 61 Arizona men’s tennis team (1-2) was upset in a close contest. Heading into singles play Arizona held a one point advantage, but the No. 63 Nebraska Cornhuskers (2-2) came from behind to win the match 4-3.
Picking up the first doubles win for the Wildcats was the team of Jason Labrosse and Ravid Hezi, who defeated Arturo Navarro and Francois Van Impe 8-2. To secure the opening point of the match, Arizona’s Bruno Alcala and Claudio Christen teamed up to defeat David Bendheim and Mark Tate 8-4.
In singles No. 86 Claudio Christen was able to upset Nebraska’s No. 78 Adrian Szatmary 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 1 spot. At the No. 2 position, junior Brunco Alcala lost his first match of the year 7-6(3), 6-1 to James Clow, a senior. After dropping matches at the three and four spot, Arizona was down 2-3. Freshman Alex Labrosse evened the match at three-apiece after pulling out a three set victory against freshman Francois Van Impe 6-4, 3-6, 6-4. The match came down to Jason Labrosse against Mark Tate at the No. 5 position. In his first match of the year, Labrosse captured the first set in a tiebreaker 7-6(4). The second set reached a tiebreaker as well, this time won by Tate 7-6(3). The two intense sets, in addition to an earlier doubles match, took its toll on Labrosse. Tate took the final set 6-0, securing the upset for Nebraska.
The Wildcats will be back in action tomorrow against No. 73 New Mexico. The match will be played at the UNM Tennis Complex and is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. (MST). New Mexico upset Nebraska Friday evening 5-2.
No. 63 Nebraska 4, No. 61 Arizona 3
1. Christen/Alcala (UA) def. Tate/Bendheim (NU) 8-4
2. Szatmary/Clow (NU) def. Milos Romic/Zimmer (UA) 8-5
3. J. Labrosse/Hezi (UA) def. Van Impe/Navarro (NU) 8-2
1. No. 86 Christen (UA) def. No. 78 Adrian Szatmary (NU) 6-3, 6-3
2. James Clow (NU) def. Alcala (UA) 7-6(3), 6-2
3. Hendrik Stahmer (NU) def. Peter Zimmer (UA) 6-2, 6-3
4. David Bendheim (NU) def. Hezi (UA) 6-1, 6-4
5. Mark Tate (NU) def. J. Labrosse (UA) 6-7(4), 7-6(3), 6-0
6. A. Labrosse (UA) def. Francois Van Impe (NU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4