March 3, 2012
TUCSON, Ariz. -
Arizona’s No. 29-ranked women’s tennis team earned another win over a ranked opponent on Saturday as it defeated No. 71 Sacramento State, 5-2. The Wildcats improved their record to 8-3 with the victory.
Arizona began the day by earning the doubles point as senior Sarah Landsman (Syosset, N.Y.) and freshman Hailey Johnson (San Diego, Calif.) won at the No. 2 position and sophomores Susan McRann (Dublin, Ireland) and Kim Stubbe (Mol, Belgium) won at No. 3.
The Wildcats carried the momentum into singles play as senior Natasha Marks (Nottingham, England) was the first one off the court in her defeat of Sacramento State’s Clarisse Baca in straight sets. Sophomore Lacey Smyth (Oceanside, Calif.) followed suit as she earned a win over Tatsiana Kapshai to put Arizona up 3-0.
Landsman sealed the win for Arizona with her three-set victory over Rebeca Delgado and Stubbe added a victory over Sophie Lohscheidt.
“I'm pleased with another home win and an 8-3 record midway through the season,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “We did a good job in doubles to get ahead and we stayed on course in singles.”
The Wildcats have a quick turnaround before they face No. 20 Saint Mary’s on Sunday, March 4 at 11 a.m. at Robson Tennis Center.
“I do feel we'll have to step up our games a bit tomorrow,” Maes said. “St. Mary's is a very good team and they will fight us to the last point.”
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, check back to ArizonaWildcats.com.
Arizona 5, Sacramento State 2
1. Kapshai/Delgado (Sac State) def. Smyth/Marks (Arizona), 8-6
2. Landsman/Johnson (Arizona) def. Meliuk/Baca (Sac State), 8-6
3. McRann/Stubbe (Arizona) def. Knoebl/Lohscheidt (Sac State), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. Lacey Smyth (Arizona) def. Tatsiana Kapshai (Sac State), 6-4, 6-2
2. Natasha Marks (Arizona) def. Clarisse Baca (Sac State), 6-2, 6-1
3. Sarah Landsman (Arizona) def. Rebeca Delgado (Sac State), 5-7, 6-3, 10-0
4. Kim Stubbe (Arizona) def. Sophie Lohscheidt (Sac State), 6-2, 6-4
5. Katharina Knoebl (Sac State) def. Susan McRann (Arizona), 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
6. Maria Meliuk (Sac State) def. Laura Oldham (Arizona), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3*, 6, 3, 5