LOS ANGELES, Calif. ?- No. 58 Arizona (6-2) fell just short against No. 25 Southern California (6-4), losing 4-3. The Wildcats were unable to claim the doubles point but won three of the six singles matches to keep it close. Arizona had to deal with an injury to Daniel Andrus, who was able to finish his doubles match but had to withdraw from singles competition.
“The guys did a great job,” said assistant coach Cory Hubbard. “There was tremendous effort at the one through six spots. To play a top 25 team on the road and have it still come down to the last match says a lot about the fight in the team.”
In singles play, Alcala fell to Adam Loucks in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. Arizona picked up its first point with Claudio Christen’s victory over Jeff Kazarian, 7-6, 6-4. Zimmer beat USC’s Garrett Snyder, 7-5, 6-3, evening things at two.
The Wildcats led after Roger Matalonga’s win over Van’t Hof at the No. 1 position, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4. The Bruins came back with a win at the No. 2 spot by Dejan Cvetkovic over Jeff Groslimond, 7-6, 2-6, 3-6.
The match then came down to the No. 5 position where Jason Labrosse was facing off with Chong Wang. Labrosse won the first set 6-4 but then dropped the next two sets, 3-6, 2-6, to give the Bruins the win.
No. 25 Southern California 4, No. 53 Arizona 3
- Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def Groslimond/Christen (UA) ?- 8-1
- Loucks/Snyder (USC) def Matalonga/Andrus (UA) ?- 8-5
- Alcala/Zimmer (UA) def Livingston/Van’t Hof (USC) ?- 8-5
- No. 80 Roger Matalonga (UA) def No. 91 Kaes Van’t Hof ?- 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
- Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) def No. 84 Jeff Groslimond (UA) ?- 7-6, 2-6, 3-6
- Claudio Christen (UA) def Jeff Kazarian (USC) ?- 7-6, 6-4
- Adam Loucks (USC) def Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 6-3, 6-4
- Chong Wang (USC) def Jason Labrosse (UA)?- 6-4, 3-6, 2-6*
- Peter Zimmer (UA) def Garrett Snyder (USC) ?- 7-5, 6-3
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 6, 1, 2, 5