March 16, 2012
PULLMAN, Wash. -
Arizona Women's Tennis suffered its first loss in five matches in a 6-1 decision to Washington State in its Pac-12 Conference opener on Friday in Pullman, Wash.
"I knew going into today's match that we were going to have to step up in the singles if we wanted to win," Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. "WSU is a good team and they always play well at home. Unfortunately, we came out flat on too many levels. I'm very disappointed because this was low effort from a group that's played well together all year. We can't afford these kinds of matches at this level."
The Wildcats came out strong, winning all three doubles matches and earning the doubles point. Senior Sarah Landsman (Syosset, N.Y.) and freshman Hailey Johnson (San Diego, Calif.) blanked WSU's No. 2 team 8-0 to start the day.
Sophomore Lacey Smyth (Oceanside, Calif.) and senior Natasha Marks (Nottingham, England) followed with their 8-6 at the No. 1 position and sophomore Susan McRann (Dublin, Ireland) and freshman Laura Oldham (Sheffield, England) closed out doubles play with an 8-7 victory at No. 3.
Arizona has won the doubles point in five-consecutive matches.
In singles play, Smyth fell in a three-set tiebreaker to No. 43 Liudmila Vasilieva. The other five singles players dropped in their respective matches.
"The highlight was winning the doubles and continuing to do well there, as well as Lacey's play in singles," Maes said. "We're going to have to recommit to our goals in practice this week, regroup and bring a better attitude to the upcoming weekend."
Arizona played the match without sophomore Kim Stubbe (Mol, Belgium), who was sidelined due to injury.
The Wildcats will return to Robson Tennis Center for their first home Pac-12 meet when they host No. 36 Washington on Friday, March 23 at 1:30 p.m. and No. 68 Oregon on Saturday, March 24 at noon.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women's Tennis, visit www.ArizonaWildcats.com.
Washington State 6, Arizona 1
1. Smyth/Marks (Arizona) def. Kankaras/Googe (WSU), 8-6
2. Landsman/Johnson (Arizona) def. Musilovic/Vasilieva (WSU), 8-0
3. McRann/Oldham (Arizona) def. Fournier/Koning (WSU), 8-7
Order of Finish: 2, 1*, 3
1. No. 43 Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. No. 79 Lacey Smyth (Arizona), 6-2, 4-6, 7-6
2. Elisabeth Fourner (WSU) def. No. 85 Natasha Marks (Arizona), 6-2, 6-0
3. Ksenia Googe (WSU) def. Sarah Landsman (Arizona), 6-1, 6-3
4. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) def. Susan McRann (Arizona), 6-1, 7-5
5. Charlotte Konning (WSU) def. Laura Oldham (Arizona), 6-2, 7-6
6. Olga Musilovich (WSU) def. Debora Castany (Arizona), 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 1*, 5, 6