TUCSON, Ariz. ?C The Arizona menˇ?s tennis team dropped its second match in as many days, losing to No. 38 California 4-3 at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
For the first time this season, the Cats just did not have it in doubles and were beaten on all three courts.
But Arizona would come out strong in singles play, knowing that play could turn around quickly.
And?it did?with No. 108 Claudio Christen, back on court one, defeating Eoin Heavey in straight sets; 6-4, 6-2.
Arizona then took a 2-1 lead when Andres Carrasco beat Pierre Mouillon; 6-1, 6-4.
California, as did Stanford the day before, hung tough by picking up key wins on courts five and six.
The Cats made it close with Bruno Alcala topping Pedro Zerbini on court four, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
But California would clinch the match when No. 96 Kallim Stewart, usually their number position player, beat Jay Goldman on court two; 7-6 (5), 3-6, 7-5.
ˇ?I thought Cal was a little mentally tougher today, especially in the doubles,ˇ± said head coach Tad Berkowitz.? ˇ?I think our team has learned a lot in these two losses and hopefully it will make us stronger down the road.ˇ±
Arizona next will host the Arizona State Sun Devils on March 22nd at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center beginning at 12 p.m.
1. Chizever/Zerbini (CAL) def. No. 48 Christen/Goldman (UA) 8-6
2. Heave/Stewart (CAL) def. Alcala/Hazi (UA) 8-4
3. Dahan/Katsarov (CAL) def. Carrasco/Metham (UA) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1 (California wins doubles point)
1. No. 108 Claudio Christen (UA) def. Eoin Heavey (CAL) 6-4, 6-2
2. No. 96 Kallim Stewart (CAL) def. Jay Goldman (UA) 7-6(5), 3-6, 7-5
3. Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Pierre Mouillon (CAL) 6-1, 6-4
4. Bruno Alcala (UA) def. Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) def. Peter Zimmer (UA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) def. Pat Metham (UA) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(2)
Order of finish: 1, 3, 5, 6, 4, 2*