FRESNO, Calif. ?- The No. 46 Arizona women’s tennis team defeated No. 44 Fresno State 4-3, extending its winning streak to 8-0. The Wildcats won two of their three doubles matches and won three of six single matches. This is the Wildcats' best start in the history of the program.
In doubles play, senior Stephanie Balzert and sophomore Juliette Mavroleon fell for the first time this season to Fresno State’s Katharina Winterhalter and Lucia Sainz, 8-4, in the first position. In the No. 2 slot, freshman Danielle Steinberg and sophomore Camelia Todorova defeated Tinesta Rowe and Vanessa Heroux, 8-4. Junior Kasia Jakowlew and junior Jessie Rochefort clinched the doubles point after defeating Melanie Gloria and Magdalena Tokarska, 8-1.
In singles play, in the first position, Balzert lost her first singles match of the season to Fresno’s Winterhalter, 6-1, 7-5. In the No. 2 slot, Steinberg remained undefeated in singles after defeating Gloria, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4. Mavroleon also remained undefeated after defeating Sainz, 6-3, 6-2. In the fourth position, Jakowlew sealed the victory for the Wildcats when she defeated Tokarska, 6-4, 6-1.
In the No. 5 slot, Razloznik fell to Rowe 6-3, 1-6, 6-3, putting a second point on the board for the Bulldogs. Todorova fell to Jacqueline Haskett, 6-3, 6-4, in the sixth position, making the final score 4-3.
Next weekend, Arizona will return home to play their first conference matches against No. 17 UCLA and Southern California Friday and Saturday, Feb. 24-25. The following week, the Wildcats will go back on the road to face California and Stanford March 3-4.
1. Winterhalter/Sainz (FSU) def. Balzert/Mavroleon (UA) 8-4
2. Steinberg/Todorova (UA) def. Rowe/Heroux (FSU) 8-4
3. Jakowlew/Rochefort (UA) def. Gloria/Tokarska (FSU) 8-1
1. KatharinaWinterhalter (FSU) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 6-1, 7-5
2. Danielle Steinberg (UA) def. Melanie Gloria (FSU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
3. Juliette Mavroleon (UA) def. Lucia Sainz (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) def. Magdalena Tokarska (FSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Tinesta Rowe (FSU) def. Tina Razloznik (UA) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
6. Jacqueline Haskett (FSU) def. Camelia Todorova (UA) 6-3, 6-4