Los Angeles, Calif. ?- The No. 45 Arizona men’s tennis team (7-7, 0-1 Pac-10) fell today to No. 5 UCLA (16-2, 1-0 Pac-10), at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. After falling behind early, losing all three doubles matches, the Wildcats lost the six singles matches in straight sets, and fell to the Bruins, 7-0.
To begin doubles competition, the Wildcats top pair of No. 15 senior Colin O'Grady and junior Roger Matalonga, fell in only their second doubles match of the year, to Benjamin Kohlloeffel and Philipp Gruendler, 8-3. Finishing not to far behind, in the No. 3 position, the freshman duo of Bruno Alcala and Claudio Christen fell to Mathieu Dehaine and Kris Kwinta, 8-5, to clinch the doubles point for the Bruins. Rounding out doubles competition, in the closest match of the day, senior Paul Warkentin and junior Daniel Andrus fell to Chris Lam and Luben Pampoulov, 9-7.
Trailing UCLA, 1-0, having never beat the Bruins, the Wildcats looked to rebound, on the singles side of action, but fell behind early and were unable to recover. First to finish, on court 4, Warkentin fell to Lam, 6-1, 6-0. Falling short of his second victory in two straight matches over this very Bruin, Alcala fell to No. 64 Gruendler, 6-1, 6-2. In the top position for both teams, O’Grady lost to No. 10 Kohlloeffel, 6-0, 6-1, securing the victory for the Bruins this afternoon. With the closest score of the day, at the No. 3 position, Andrus fell to No. 50 Kwinta, 7-5, 6-4. At the bottom, No. 6 position, redshirt freshman Jason Labrosse lost to Dehaine, 6-3, 6-2. Rounding out play today, No. 47 Matalonga fell to No. 7 Pampoulov, 6-2, 7-6(2).
The Wildcats will be back in action tomorrow, Saturday, Mar. 26, traveling to No. 9 UCLA, with first serve scheduled for 1 p.m.
No. 47 Arizona 0, No. 5 UCLA 7
- Kohlloeffel/Gruendler (UCLA) def. No. 15 Matalonga/O’Grady (UA) ?- 8-3
- Lam/Pampoulov (UCLA) def. Andrus/Warkentin (UA) ?- 9-7
- Dehaine/Kwinta (UCLA) def. Alcala/Christen (UA) - 85
- No. 10 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Colin O'Grady (UA) ?- 6-0, 6-1*
- No. 7 Luben Pampoulov (UCLA) def. No. 47 Roger Matalonga (UA) ?- 6-2, 7-6(2)
- No. 50 Kris Kwinta (UCLA) def. Daniel Andrus (UA) ?- 7-5, 6-4
- Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Paul Warkentin (UA) ?- 6-1, 6-0
- No. 64 Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 6-1, 6-2
- Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Jason Labrosse (UA)- 6-3, 6-2
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 1, 3, 6, 2