Tucson, Ariz. ?- The No. 42 men’s tennis team (7-6) fell today to No. 8 UCLA (14-2), at the Robson Tennis Center. Taking an early 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point, the Wildcats came out strong taking three of the first six sets of play, before falling to UCLA, 5-2.
After losing the first doubles match of the day, the Wildcats came from behind against the Bruins, to clinch the doubles point and take the early lead. In the No. 2 position, junior Daniel Andrus and freshman Bruno Alcala lost to Benjamin Kohlloeffel and Philipp Gruendler, 8-4. Bringing their doubles record to 9-1 on the season, the No. 53 pair of senior Colin O'Grady and junior Roger Matalonga, brought the doubles matches even, defeating No. 34 Alberto Francis and Kris Kwinta, 8-6. In the decisive doubles point match, after falling behind early, senior Paul Warkentin and freshman Claudio Christen defeated Chris Lam and Mathieu Dehaine, 9-8(7-2).
The Wildcats came out of the gates firing, in singles competition, taking three of the first six sets. Finishing first, in the top position, O’Grady fell to No. 14 Kohlloeffel, 6-1, 6-4. Over on court 5, finishing at the same time as O’Grady, Alcala extended his winning streak to three matches, defeating No. 66 Gruendler, 6-3, 6-4. Next, in the No. 2 spot, No. 48 Matalonga fell to No. 49 Kwinta, 6-1, 6-4.
Going into the final three matches, with the scored tied at 2-2, the Wildcats seemed to be in a good position having won the first set in two of the three final matches. Senior Paul Warkentin was the fourth to finish, falling to No. 95 Francis, 6-3, 6-4. On court 3, after winning the first set, Andrus fell off to Lam, clinching the match for the Bruins, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. In the final and closest match of the day, redshirt freshman Jason Labrosse fell to Dehaine, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.
“UCLA is a really good team. After losing the doubles point, the Bruins really started to focus and battled back. I’m really proud of how our team battled throughout the whole match,” said head coach Bill Wright.
The Wildcats will take the next two weeks off, heading to Los Angeles to face off against No. 8 UCLA, Friday, Mar. 25, at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Mar. 26, the Wildcats will take on No. 9 USC, at 1 p.m.
No. 42 Arizona 2, No. 8 UCLA 5
- No. 53 O’Grady/Matalonga (UA) def. No. 34 Franics/Kwinta (UCLA) ?- 8-6
- Kohlloeffel/Gruendler (UCLA) def. Alcala/Andrus (UA) ?- 8-4
- Christen/Mullane (UA) def. Lam/Dehaine (UCLA) ?- 9-8 (7-2)
- No. 14 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Colin O'Grady (UA) ?- 6-1, 6-4
- No. 49 Kris Kwinta (UCLA) def. No. 48 Roger Matalonga (UA) ?- 6-1, 6-4
- Chris Lam (UCLA) def. Daniel Andrus (UA) ?- 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
- No. 95 Alberto Francis (UCLA) def. Paul Warkentin (UA) ?- 6-3, 6-4
- Bruno Alcala (UA) def. No. 66 Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) ?- 6-3, 6-4
- Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Jason Labrosse (UA)- 3-6, 6-3, 6-3