“I’m happy with the continued progress on this team,” said head Coach Vicky Maes. “We have a competitive group and tomorrow will be another good test for us against a team that has started off the year quite strongly. We expect this to be a battle, but feel great about our chances at home.”
In doubles play,
senior Stephanie Balzert and junior Juliette Mavroleon defeated Samantha Walker and Danon Beatty, 8-5, in the number one position. UA clinched the doubles point when freshman Danielle Steinberg teamed up with sophomore Camelia Todorova to defeat Cal Poly’s Shelia Lewis and Maria Malec, 8-5, in the second position. In the No. 3 slot, junior Kasia Jakowlew and senior Iza Ferreira fell to Carol Erickson and Shannon Brady, 8-6. Arizona
In singles play, Balzert defeated
, 6-2, 6-2, in the first position. On the next court, Steinberg defeated Cal Poly’s Beatty, 6-3, 6-0, while doubles partner Todorova beat Amanda Varela, 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 6 position. In the No. 4 position Jakowlew beat Lewis 6-3, 6-3. Walker
In the No. 5 position freshman Tina Razloznik fell to Malec in a super-tiebreaker, 6-2, 5-7, (11-9), putting the Mustangs on the board. Meanwhile in the third slot, Mavroleon battled for the last point, winning her super-tiebreaker 7-6, 3-6, (12-10).
1. Balzert/Mavroleon (UA) def. Walker/Beatty (Poly), 8-5
2. Steinberg/Todorova (UA) def. Lewis/Malec (Poly), 8-5
3. Erickson/Brady (Poly) def. Jakowlew/Ferreira (UA), 8-6
1. Balzert (UA) def.
2. Steinberg (UA) def. Beatty (Poly) 6-3, 6-0
3. Mavroleon (UA) def. Erickson (Poly) 7-6, 3-6, (12-10)
4. Jakowlew (UA) def. Lewis (Poly) 6-3, 6-3
5. Malec (Poly) def. Razloznik (UA) 6-2, 5-7, (11-9)
6. Todorova (UA) def. Varela (Poly) 6-0, 6-0