Feb. 20, 2011
"Overall the guys competed well today," head coach Tad Berkowitz said. "This was an important win for us heading into the Blue/Gray next weekend."
After falling to the Pioneers (2-5, 0-0 Sun Belt) 4-3 last season in
On court three, the senior-freshman duo of Andres Carrasco and Kieren Thompson cruised to an 8-2 victory over
The undefeated Wildcat pair of Jason Zafiros and Andre Vidaller earned their sixth win and clinched the doubles point for
The Wildcats squeezed out a third win on court one in a tiebreaker. The
In singles action, the Pioneers got on the board with a win on court No. 4. Miccini downed Landwerlen in the first set, 6-2, was trailing 6-5 in the second when he was forced to retire due to an injury.
The Wildcats were then jumpstarted to an early 2-1 lead by Zafiros. The junior dispatched Vorkefeld in straight sets. In the first set, Zafiros built a 3-0 lead before Vorkefeld answered with two straight games, before the Bradenton, Fla. native capped off the 6-3 first set victory. In the second set, Zafiros crawled out to a 4-1 lead and never trailed, winning 6-2.
Carrasco propelled the Wildcats to a 3-1 lead claiming two straight sets. In the first set Carrasco pounced Weihs 6-4, and then picked up the momentum in the second set. The senior came out evened with Weihs at 2-2 before tallying four straight games en route to a 6-2 second set win.
On court five, Vidaller sealed the match for the Wildcats. The freshman picked up a solid win against Clinkenbeard. Vidaller breezed to a 6-2 first set victory, before grabbing a tight second set win 7-5.
The Pioneers earned their second point of the day in the No. 1 slot. No. 44-ranked Enej Bonin edged Jay Goldman in a 7-6 (3) tiebreaker in the first set before powering his way to a 6-3 second set win. Goldman answered in the second set building a 3-1 lead, but Bonin battled to win five straight games.
Embry tallied the Wildcats their fifth point of the day in the No. 6 spot against
The Wildcats trek to
1. Embry/Miccini (UA) def. Vorkefeld/Landwerlen (DEN) 9-8 (2)
2. Zafiros/Vidaller (UA) def. Weihs/Bonin (DEN) 8-5*
3. Carrasco/Thompson (UA) def. Clinkenbeard/Gunaseelan (DEN) 8-2
Arizona Wins Doubles Point
Order of finish, 3,2*,1
*Clinched doubles point
1. No. 44 Enej Bonin (DEN) def. Jay Goldman (UA) 7-6 (3), 6-3
2. Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Yannick Weihs (DEN) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Jens Vorkefeld (DEN) 6-3, 6-2
4. Andrew Landwerlen (DEN) def. Giacomo Miccini (UA) 2-6, 6-5 (ret. inj.)
5. Andre Vidaller (UA) def. Alex Clinkenbeard (DEN) 6-2, 7-5*
6. Geoff Embry (UA) def. Varun Gunaseelan (DEN) 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish, 4,3,2,5*,1,6
*Clinched the match