April 12, 2013
TUCSON, Ariz. -
No. 75 Arizona women’s tennis (9-12, 1-7 Pac-12) fell 7-0 to No. 13 Stanford (15-3, 7-1 Pac-12) on Friday afternoon at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
“The team had a great start in the doubles,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “We took the lead on all courts but couldn't hold on.”
After Stanford took the first match in the doubles round, Arizona sophomore Susan Mc Rann (Dublin, Ireland) defeated Stanford’s Dillon and Hardebeck, 8-5, at the No. 3 doubles spot. The win leveled the advantage to earn the doubles point, but Stanford fought off Arizona’s effort and clinched the last doubles match to head into singles play with the 1-0 lead.
“In singles, we didn't bring our best tennis and that cost us,” Maes said. “While I certainly feel we battled, we were to erratic today to secure any wins.”
Stanford secured wins at the No. 1, 4 and 5 singles spots to clinch the match and hand Arizona its fourth home loss of the season.
Oldham faced No. 35 Kristie Ahn at the No. 2 singles spot. The Arizona sophomore kept the first set close by taking it to a tiebreaker. However, Ahn went on to take the tiebreaker and the second set to add another point for Stanford.
After dropping the first set, 6-1, Arizona freshman Inge Hendrikx came back and took the second set, 6-4, over Natalie Dillon. Despite the comeback, Dillon took the third set to extend Stanford’s lead.
“I felt we played aggressive and I was pleased with our effort,” Maes said.
Up Next: Arizona tennis returns to action tomorrow at Robson Tennis Center as the Wildcats take on No. 11 California at noon.
For immediate results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, visit ArizonaWildcats.com, or visit the Arizona Women’s Tennis Facebook page, or follow @ArizonaWTennis on Twitter.
1. No. 7 Ahn/Gibbs (Stanford) def. Smyth/Austin (UA), 8-4
2. No. 43 Tsay/Tan (Stanford) def. Stubbe/James (UA), 8-6
3. Oldham/Mc Rann (UA) def. Dillon/Hardebeck (Stanford), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. No. 27 Nicole Gibbs (Stanford) def. No. 74 Lacey Smyth (UA), 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 35 Kristie Ahn (Stanford) def. Laura Oldham (UA), 7-6(2), 6-0
3. No. 15 Krista Hardebeck (Stanford) def. Akilah James (UA), 7-6(4), 6-3
4. No. 95 Stacey Tan (Stanford) def. Shayne Austin (UA), 6-0, 6-2
5. No. 68 Ellen Tsay (Stanford) def. Susan Mc Rann (UA), 6-0, 6-4
6. Natalie Dillon (Stanford) def. Inge Hendrikx (UA), 6-1, 4-6,(10-6)
Order of finish: 4, 1, 5*, 2, 6, 3