March 27, 2009
The No. 20 Arizona men's tennis team opened up Pac-10 play the same way it ended the non-conference schedule with a win. The Wildcats (16-1, 1-0 Pac-10) were focused and dominated its match against Oregon (8-9, 0-1 Pac-10) by beating them 7-0 and running its winning streak to 14-matches.
Arizona got off to a fast start by taking the two of the three doubles matches and the doubles point. Andres Arango and Andres Carrasco got back on the winning track by defeating Ric Mortera and Duncan MacDonald-Korth 8-2 in position No. 2.
The singles matches were all Arizona. The Wildcats did not lose a single set, sweeping all six matches.
Arango started out by defeating Alexander Cornelissen 6-1, 6-2 in position No. 2. The win gave Arango the team best eight-match winning streak.
Then Carrasco ran his winning streak to seven by dominating Mortera 6-0, 6-2 in position No. 3.
Junior Pat Metham and sophomore Jay Goldman, ranked No. 64 in singles play, each increased their winning streak to seven. Metham defeated Myrhed 6-2, 6-1 in position No. 5, the win also clinched the victory for the Wildcats. Goldman, playing in the top spot, beat Marcos Verdasco 6-4, 6-4.
Freshman Jason Zafiros, who had is 15-match winning streak snapped on Wednesday, rebounded nicely by defeating Sho Hiquchi 6-4, 7-6 in position No. 6.
Junior Ravid Hazi got back on the right track by topping Izquierdo 6-4, 6-2 in position No. 4.
Arizona will be in action again on Sunday March 26, when they travel to Seattle, Wash. to take on No. 26 Washington at 11:00 a.m. Tucson time.
1) Marcos Verdasco/Alexander Cornelissen (UO) def. Pat Metham/Francois VanderMerwe (UA) 8-3
2) Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Ric Mortera/Duncan MacDonald-Korth (UO) 8-2
3) Jay Goldman/Ravid Hazi (UA) def. Jose' Izquierdo/Mike Myrhed (UO) 8-5
Order: 2, 3, 1
1) Jay Goldman (UA) def. Marcos Verdasco (UO) 6-4, 6-4
2) Andres Arango (UA) def. Alexander Cornelissen (UO) 6-1, 6-2
3) Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Ric Mortera (UO) 6-0, 6-2
4) Ravid Hazi (UA) def. Jose' Izquierdo (UO) 6-4, 6-2
5) Pat Metham (UA) def. Mike Myrhed (UO) 6-2, 6-1*
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Sho Hiquchi (UO) 6-4, 7-6
Order: 2, 3, 5*, 4, 6, 1