Jan. 31, 2004
TUCSON, AZ - The No. 27 Arizona women's tennis team (1-1) took on the No. 35 Oklahoma Sooners (2-0) in their second dual match of the season. The Wildcats won two out of three doubles matches, but were unable to come away with a win thanks to Oklahoma's four victories in singles competition.
In doubles action, junior Kelly Perry and senior Debbie Larocque easily defeated Oklahoma's team of Irina Lykina and Jessica Braver, 8-1 on court 3. On court 2, the team of sophomore Kelly Duncan and freshman Jessie Rochefort fell to Oklahoma's Bethany Griffin and Gabby Baker, 8-3. The longest match of the afternoon came on court 1 where the No. 19 ranked doubles team of juniors Maja Mlakar and Dianne Hollands defeated Oklahoma's team of Anda Perianu and Heather Saluri, 9-8 to give the Wildcats the overall doubles win.
Playing in the first position, Hollands competed against No. 3 Perianu. Although Hollands came from behind in both sets, she eventually lost to Perianu, 6-3, 7-5. On court 2, Mlakar fell to Oklahoma's Irina Lykina in two sets, 6-3, 6-4. Larocque posted a win for the Wildcats as she defeated Oklahoma's Gabby Baker in two sets, 6-4, 7-6. Rochefort lost on court 4 to Heather Saluri in two sets, 6-2, 7-5. The longest match of the day came on court 5 where Perry was able to come back from a first set loss to win, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2. Duncan was unable to come away with a win against Oklahoma's Amanda Pratzel, 7-2, 6-2.
The Wildcats will next see action at home tomorrow at 11:30 a.m. when they take on No. 46 San Diego at the Lanelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. Anda Perianu (OU) def. Dianne Hollands (UA), 6-3, 7-5.
2. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Maja Mlakar (UA), 6-3, 6-4.
3. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Gabby Baker (OU), 6-4, 7-6.
4. Heather Saluri (OU) def. Jessie Rochefort (UA), 6-2, 7-5.
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Jessica Braver (OU), 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
6. Amanda Pratzel (OU) def. Kelly Duncan (UA), 7-5, 6-2.
1. Hollands/Mlakar (UA) def. Perianu/Saluri (OU), 9-8.
2. Perry/Larocque (UA) def. Lykina/Braver (OU), 8-1.
3. Griffin/Baker (OU) def. Duncan/Rochefort (UA), 8-3.