March 5, 2011
TUCSON - The No. 26-ranked Arizona Wildcat women's tennis team continued Pac-10 play today as they hosted No. 71 Washington State. The Wildcats picked up their second Pac-10 victory with a 6-1 win over the Cougars.
"The girls played a good match today," said head coach Vicky Maes. "Washington State is a strong team and we had to work for every match. I was proud of the way we competed on all courts. We are definitely in need of a little break though and this coming week will be perfect to recharge our batteries."
In doubles play, the Wildcats won two of three matches to clinch the doubles point. On court one, the No. 67-ranked team of Natasha Marks and Sarah Landsman beat Llumila Vasilieva and Ksenia Googe, 8-2. The win improved the junior duo's record to 12-1 in the No. 1 slot of dual play.
On court two, the freshman duo of Lacey Smyth and Kim Stubbe lost a close battle against Olga Musilovich and Andeija Kankaras, 8-6. Senior Jane Huh and freshman Susan Mc Rann defeated Elizabeth Fournier and Lea Jansen, 8-4, to clinch the doubles point for Arizona.
In singles action, the Cats won five of six matches to earn their second win in the Pac-10. The Wildcats' only singles loss of the day came on court one. Fournier edged Landsman, 6-4, 6-3. On court two, No. 99 Marks beat Vasilieva, 6-2, 6-2. Smyth beat Googe, 6-3, 6-3, on court three.
In a back and forth battle on court four, Stubbe defeated Musilovich, 6-3, 4-6, 10-4. After a slow start on court five, Mc Rann came back to beat Kankaras, 2-6, 6-3, 6-3. Huh beat Jessica Gomez, 6-3, 6-0, on court six.
The Wildcats improve to 12-2 overall and 2-0 in the Pac-10. The Wildcats will be back in action on Mon., March 14 as they host Sacramento State. The match is set to being at 11 a.m. at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
No. 26 Arizona 6, No. 71 Washington State 1
LaNelle Robson Tennis Center
Sat. March 5, 2011
1. No. 67 Landsman/Marks (UA) def. Vasilieva/Googe (WSU), 8-2
2. Musilovich/Kankaras (WSU) def. Smyth/Stubbe (UA), 8-6
3. Mc Rann/Huh (UA) def. Fournier/Jansen (WSU), 8-4
Arizona wins the doubles point
1. Elizabeth Fournier (WSU) def. Sarah Landsman (UA), 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 99 Natasha Marks (UA) def. Liumila Vasilieva (WSU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Lacey Smyth (UA) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Kim Stubbe (UA) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU), 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
5. Susan Mc Rann (UA) def. Andejla Kankaras (WSU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Jane Huh (UA) def. Jessica Gomez (WSU), 6-3 6-0