TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 26 Arizona men's tennis team (1-0) opened the
2005 dual match season by easily defeating Hawaii (0-1),
7-0, Tuesday, Jan. 11. The Wildcats took two of the three doubles
matches as well as winning each singles match.
In the doubles matches, senior Colin O'Grady and junior Roger
Matalonga started off the day by easily defeating Dalibor Ptak and
Chad Faulk, 8-2. Over on court two, junior Tim Mullane and senior Paul
Warkentin had a little tougher time with Bryon Weinberg and Jarrod
Diepraam and fell to the duo, 9-7. Competing in the final No. 3
position, freshmen Bruno Alcala and Francois Vandermerwe started off
their collegiate careers by defeating Derrick Lajola and Travis Smith,
In singles action the Wildcats had an impressive day and sweept all
six matches in straight sets. Matalonga began the singles action on
court one as he defeated Ptak, 6-4, 6-2. Following up his doubles
partner, O'Grady took the No. 2 position, defeating Weinberg in
similar fashion, 6-3, 6-2. Making an impressive colliegate debut,
Alacala finished his first day of college action by defeating
Diepraam, 6-2, 4-0, as Diepraam was forced to retire due to injury.
Continuing the action, Warkentin defeated Faulk, 6-2, 6-3. In the
closest match of the day, sophomore Jason Labrosse defeated Lajola,
7-5, 6-1. To finish out the day, Vandermerwe defeated Smith, 6-2, 6-2.
In other news, the Intercolliegate Tennis Association released their
pre-season rankings as the Wildcats grabbed the No. 26 position to
start off the year. The Wildcats will hit the courts again Sunday,
Jan. 16, at home, against Northern Arizona University. First serve is
scheduled for 1:30 p.m.
1. Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Dalibor Ptak (UH) - 6-4, 6-2
2. Colin O'Grady (UA) def. Bryon Weinberg (UH) - 6-3, 6-2
3. Bruno Alcala (UA) def. Jarrod Diepraam (UH) - 6-2, 4-0 ret.
4. Paul Warkentin (UA) def. Chad Faulk (UH) - 6-2, 6-3
5. Jason Labrosse (UA) def. Derrick Lajola (UH) - 7-5, 6-1
6. Francois Vandermerwe (UA) def. Travis Smith (UH) - 6-2, 6-2
1. Matalonga/O'Grady (UA) def. Ptak/Faulk (UH) - 8-2
2. Weinberg/Diepraam (UH) def. Warkentin/Mullane (UA) - 9-7
3. Alcala/Vandermerwe (UA) def. Lajola/Smith (UH) - 8-0