BOISE, ID ?-The Wildcats improved to 7-3 on the season after defeating No. 73 William and Mary Sunday at the Boise State’s Boas Indoor Tennis Center. Arizona lost the doubles point but was able to come back strong to win four singles matches.
In doubles play, Arizona was unable to take the doubles point after falling in the bottom two positions. Roger Matalonga and Francois VanderMerwe fell to William and Mary’s Alex Cojanu and Billy Mulligan, 9-8 on court two. William and Mary clinched the doubles point when Bruno Alcala and Peter Zimmer fell to Kavi Sud and Dominic Pagon, 8-4 at the No 3 position.
The Wildcats came back in singles play, winning on courts one, two, five and six. No. 80 Matalonga defeated Colin O’Brien, at No. 1 and No. 84 Jeff Groslimond Stephen Ward at No. 2. Jason Labrosse and Zimmer both won on courts five and six. With the team match having been decided, Claudio Christen’s No. 3 match against Mulligan and Alcala’s contest on court four against Conan’s were both abandoned in the third set.
Next week, Arizona will face Pac-10 foes California and Stanford at home. The Wildcats and Bears will face off on Friday, March 10, at 1:30 p.m. The Stanford match will be on Saturday, March 11, at 1 p.m.
1. Christen/Groslimond (UA) def. O’Brien/Ward (W&M) 8-6
2. Cojanu/Billy Mulligan (W&M) def. Matalonga/Francois VanderMerwe (UA) 9-8
3. Pagon/Kavi Sud (W&M) def. Alcala/Zimmer (UA) 8 -4
1. #80 Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Colin O’Brien (W&M) 6-2, 6-4
2. #84 Jeff Groslimond (UA) def. Stephen Ward W&M) 6-2, 6-3
3. Billy Mulligan (W&M) vs. Claudio Christen (UA) DNF
4. Alex Cojanu (W&M) vs. Bruno Alcala (UA) DNF
5. Jason Labrosse (UA) def. Matt Rubenstein (W&M) 6-2, 6-0
6. Peter Zimmer (UA)) def. Dominic Pagon (W&M) 7-6, 6-0
Final Score, 4-1 Arizona