Feb. 4, 2010
TUCSON--The Arizona women's tennis team defeated New Mexico State 7-0 Thursday at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
Arizona (4-0, 0-0 Pac-10) started off with two doubles wins to get an early 1-0 lead. In the No. 1 position, sophomore Natasha Marks and freshman Alexandrina Naydenova defeated NMSU's (1-3, 0-0 WAAC) Isabela Kulaif and Manon Sylvain 8-5, and in the No. 2 position, sophomore Sarah Landsman and senior Claire Rietsch defeated Sophia Marks and Aleksa Costa 8-5 as well.
In singles play, No. 46 Marks took down Kulaif with a quick 6-0, 6-1 win in the No. 1 position.
Next to finish was Masschelein who swept Costa in both matches, 6-0, 6-0 in position 3. On the fourth court, Naydenova finished next and defeated Sylvain 6-1, 6-3, and her win cinched the match for the Cats.
In position 6, sophomore Debora Castany defeated Salum 6-2, 7-5, and Rietsch followed shortly after with a 6-1, 6-7 (10-5) win on court 5 over Pinero.
Last to finish for Arizona was Landsman who defeated NMSU's Marks 1-6, 6-3, 6-0 on court 2.
"This was a great win for us on many levels." Said head coach Vicky Maes, "As a team, we are putting up good numbers and, individually, our girls are performing very well. I feel everyone is contributing and this creates a great competitive team atmosphere. This attitude is going to help us down the road when matches get tighter."
Up next, the Wildcats will take on No. 45 University of San Diego on Saturday at 11am at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. Marks/Naydenova UA def. Kulaif/Sylvain NMSU 8-5
2. Landsman/Rietsch UA def. Marks/Costa NMSU 8-5
3. Pinero/Salum NMSU def. Masschelein/Huh UA 8-7
1. No. 46 Marks UA def. Kulaif NMSU 6-0, 6-1
2. Landsman UA def. Marks NMSU 1-6, 6-3, 6-0
3. Masschelein UA def. Costa NSU 6-0, 6-0
4. Naydenova UA def. Sylvain 6-1, 6-3*
5. Rietsch UA def. Pinero NMSU 6-1, 5-7 (10-5)
6. Castany UA def. Salum NMSU 6-2, 7-5