BERKELEY ?C The University of Arizona menˇ?s tennis team fell to the California Golden Bears today in Berkeley, Calif., 5-2.
The match, which was delayed due to rain in the Bay Area, was the Cats fourth consecutive defeat.
In doubles action, the Golden Bears grabbed a 1-0 lead by sweeping all three matches.
Without freshman Jay Goldman in the lineup, the Cats were forced to change things up and go with Claudio Christen and Pat Metham on court two.? It was a twin tower duo of sorts with both players measuring in at 6ˇ?5. But the Cal team put them away by the score of 8-6.
In singles play, No. 116 Kallim Stewart knocked off No. 121 Christen in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4.
To clinch the match for the Golden Bears, Pierre Mouillon beat Andres Carrasco; 6-3, 7-6 (5). It was Carrasco first defeat in nearly two months.
Arizona picked up two points when Bruno Alcala beat Eoin Heavy on court three, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (4), 1-0 (7) and Pat Metham?topped Jonathan Dahan 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.
"I thought the team showed alot of heart out there today," said Assistant Coach Tom Lloyd.? "In the end though,?they (Cal) were able to?pick up the close points necessary to win."??
The Cats will be back in action tomorrow as they travel to Palo Alto to face the Stanford Cardinal.
No. 42 California 5, No. 55 Arizona 2
Mar. 28, 2008 | Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
1. Chizever/Zerbini (CAL) def. Alcala/Hazi (UA) 8-4
2. Heavey/Stewart (CAL) def. Christen/Metham (UA) 8-6
3. Dahan/Katsatov (CAL) def. Carrasco/Zimmer (UA) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3*, 2 (California wins doubles point)
1. No. 116 Kallim Stewart (CAL) def. No. 121 Claudio Christen (UA) 7-5, 6-4
2. Pierre Mouillon (CAL) def. Andres Carrasco (UA) 6-3, 7-6(5)
3. Bruno Alcala (UA) def. Eoin Heavey (CAL) 6-7(4), 7-6(4), 1-0(7)
4. Pat Metham (UA) def. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Pedro Zerbini (CAL) def. Peter Zimmer (UA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) def. Ravid Hazi (UA) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: 5, 1, 2*, 4, 3, 6