Feb. 4, 2012
TUCSON, Ariz. -
Senior Natasha Marks (Nottingham, England) led the No. 33 Arizona women’s tennis team past No. 35 San Diego by a score of 4-3 on Saturday at Robson Tennis Center.
"We didn't play our best today but I'm very pleased we won,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “USD is a tough team and we knew we were going to have to play hard.”
Marks and sophomore Lacey Smyth (Oceanside, Calif.) kicked off the day with a doubles win over San Diego’s Hoffpauir and Haciraifoglu, but Arizona’s other teams could not come up with wins and the Torreros took the doubles point.
Smyth started singles play with a win over USD’s Stephanie Hoffpauir at No. 1, while sophomore Susan McRann (Dublin, Ireland) defeated Marite Raygada at No. 5. Senior Sarah Landsman (Syosset, N.Y.) kept her undefeated streak alive in singles with her win over Laura Claus at the No. 2 spot.
Depenau took the first set, 6-4, but Marks fought back, took the second set 7-5 and the third set, 6-1 to close out the match and earn a victory for the Wildcats.
“It was nice to see Natasha Marks pull it out for the team,” Maes said. “She had to save several match points to do it and showed such remarkable heart throughout the entire match. We can certainly take a few lessons home after this match, but I know we will be better because of it as the season progresses.”
Arizona will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 11 to take on No. 54 San Diego State at Robson Tennis Center at 10 a.m.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, check back with ArizonaWildcats.com.
Arizona 4, San Diego 3
1. Marks/Smyth (Arizona) def. Hoffpauir/Haciraifoglu (USD), 8-3
2. Claus/Coupez (USD) def. Stubbe/McRann (Arizona), 8-3
3. Sujica/Depenau (USD) def. Landsman/Johnson (Arizona), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3*
1. Lacey Smyth (Arizona) def. Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD), 7-6 (5), 5-2, ret.
2. Sarah Landsman (Arizona) def. Laura Claus (USD), 6-4, 7-5
3. Juliette Coupez (USD) def. Kim Stubbe (Arizona), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Natasha Marks (Arizona) def. Anna Depenau (USD), 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
5. Susan McRann (Arizona) def. Marite Raygada (USD), 6-4, 6-2
6. Maja Sujica (USD) def. Laura Oldham (Arizona), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
7. Cara Brown (USD) def. Debora Castany (Arizona), 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5, 2, 6, 4*