April 5, 2013
TUCSON, Ariz. -
No. 74 Arizona women's tennis (9-10, 1-5) fell to No. 9 UCLA (14-3, 5-2), 5-2, on Friday afternoon at the Robson Tennis Center.
"The team had a slow start in doubles," Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. "But they recovered quickly and showed much more resiliency in the singles. We had our chances on all courts, just couldn't convert enough to pull the upset."
UA junior Kim Stubbe (Mol, Belgium) earned the match's first win in singles play over No. 110 Pamela Montez, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 2 spot. The win was Stubbe's third-consecutive singles victory and it tied the match, 1-1, after UCLA took the doubles point.
UCLA responded by winning the next four matches in singles to clinch the match.
Arizona junior Akilah James (Brooklyn, N.Y.) gave the Wildcats another point by defeating Courtney Dolehide, 6-2, 1-6, 6-1, at the No. 4 spot.
"Our girls can see that we have the opportunities to beat teams like UCLA," Maes said. "We still need to do better at playing our level consistently."
Up Next: Arizona tennis returns to action tomorrow at Robson Tennis Center as the Wildcats take on No. 5 USC at noon.
For immediate results and continued coverage of Arizona Women's Tennis, visit ArizonaWildcats.com, or visit the Arizona Women's Tennis Facebook page, or follow @ArizonaWTennis on Twitter.
1. No. 30 Morton/McPhillips (UCLA) def. Smyth/Austin (UA), 8-4
2. Dolehide/Anderson (UCLA) def. Stubbe/James (UA), 8-0
3. Montez/Harrison (UCLA) def. Oldham/Mc Rann (UA), 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 67 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. No. 64 Lacey Smyth (UA), 6-0, 7-5
2. Kim Stubbe (UA) def. No. 110 Pamela Montez (UCLA), 6-0, 6-1
3. No. 91 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Laura Oldham (UA), 6-2, 7-6
4. Akilah James (UA) def. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA), 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
5. No. 88 Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Shayne Austin (UA), 6-3, 6-4
6. Skyler Morton (UCLA) def. Susan Mc Rann (UA), 7-5, 6-4, 10-8
Order of finish: 2, 1, 5, 3*, 6, 4