Greg Byrne's Wildcat Wednesday
On the Tee with Ale: Entry #6
By: Arizona Athletics
Release: March 17, 2011
Photo Courtesy: Arizona Athletics
Related Links

March 17, 2011

Throughout the Arizona Wildcat women's golf season, senior Alejandra Llaneza will keep a weekly blog about life and golf in the Pac-10. Check back for more updates from Ale!

Hello Wildcat Fans!

We just got back from Hawaii, after a long trip but it was well worth it. It was a great experience to share with the team, a lot of fun, and a great place to play golf, somewhere I would not mind playing every day. For some weird reason, it seemed very easy to get used to that lifestyle, wake up, play golf, go to the beach and do it all over again (haha). We also had a chance to bond as a team. We went to the beach, shopping and to a somewhat unsuccessful hike which ended up being a great workout!

After a few days of relaxing, we went to practice at Honolulu Country Club and got in the tournament mindset. We played 36 holes the first day which was a physical challenge but the beautiful views of the "Klipper" and the fact that we did it at our home tournament kept us going. We came in second place as a team, after coming back from third the last day. We were not able to catch ASU but we moved up the leader board which was good. I came in second, something I was excited about because it is my highest finish in college so far. Isabelle (Boineau) kept her solid play and finished fifth, while Nikki followed with a T12th finish.

After the third round, we had the afternoon off before taking the red-eye back to Phoenix, Margarita (Macus) and I went to the beach to pursue our dream of becoming professional surfers. We had all the intentions of staying in Hawaii to reach that dream but unfortunately the instructor was not available. Instead, along with her mom who was there, we decided to go for a relaxing swim in the ocean and wanted to catch some waves even if we weren't surfing, so we hung on to a raft and started swimming further up where the waves were. We stopped for a break, when I heard what I though was a man snorkeling but could not see him. A few minutes later, I looked up and a giant turtle was swimming next to us and what I had heard was the turtle coming to the surface to breathe! I started screaming because didn't know what to do, and Macus started screaming and laughing at the same time. All three of us held on to the raft and started kicking trying to swim back to the shore but all we did was spin in circles laughing and panicking at the same time. After we managed to get back to the beach, we realized it was probably time to come back home.

We are headed to San Diego on Friday to compete at San Diego State's tournament. We will be facing a strong field which I am excited about. We will also show the Sun Devils that things will not stay like this, because we are coming back strong.

Follow us next week at :) Until next time!