Juszczak, Liaw tied for 27th place individually
TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The University of Arizona men’s golf team posted its best round of the tournament Thursday, but only moved up one place in finishing ninth at the 2004 Topy Cup in Fukushima, Japan.
Arizona posted a five-over-par 293 in the third round to finish in ninth place with a 31-over 895 total. Bolstered by three players within a stroke of par, the Wildcats’ tally in Thursday’s round was its best in the three-day event by seven strokes. New Mexico won the 11-team event by three strokes after carding a five-under 283 and an 847 (-17) total after 54 holes. Auburn (850), Tohoku Fukushi (868) and Texas (874) rounded out the top four places.
For just the second time in its last 54 events, no Arizona golfer finished in the top 25 places individually. Senior Nick Juszczak and sophomore Henry Liaw both carded one-over 71s Thursday and finished in a tie for 27th place at 222 (+6). Sophomore Mark Lamb tallied an even-par 72 and finished in a tie for 32nd place at 223 (+7). Lamb’s final-round score was UA’s only round at par or better in the tournament. New Mexico’s Spencer Levin claimed individual medalist honors by firing a six-under 66 Thursday en route to a 11-under 205 total.
Also competing for the Wildcats were sophomores Josh Esler, who finished in 47th place at 229 (+13), and Nathan Tyler, who tied for 48th place at 230 (+14).
The Topy Cup is an annual event held in Japan featuring collegiate teams from the United States and Japan in a 54-hole stroke play format. Four U.S. and seven Japanese teams made up the 11-team field.
The 2004 Topy Cup was contested at the Tanagura Densha Country Club, a par 72, 6,080-yard layout.
Arizona will next be in action on Sept. 19-20 at The Preview by Ping and Golfweek in Baltimore, Md.
Team Results Top Five Individuals
1. New Mexico 847 (-17) 1. Spencer Levin, New Mexico 68-71-66=205 (-11)
2. Auburn 850 (-14) 2. M. Tamura, Kyushu Tokai 73-69-67=209 (-7)
3. Tohoku Fukushi 868 (+4) 3. Patton Kizzire, Auburn 69-73-68=210 (-6)
4. Texas 874 (+10) Miguel Griego, New Mexico 71-67-72=210 (-6)
5. Chuo Gakuin 878 (+14) Matthew Rosenfield, Texas 69-69-72=210 (-6)
6. Nagoya Commerce 879 (+15)
7. Senshu 885 (+21) Arizona Finishers
9. ARIZONA 895 (+31) T27. Nick Juszczak 74-75-73=222 (+6)
10. Aichi Gakuin 897 (+33) T32. Mark Lamb 75-76-72=223 (+7)
11. Nihon 898 (+34) 47. Josh Esler 78-76-75=229 (+13)
T48. Nathan Tyler 78-75-77=230 (+14)